De Gooyer - Amsterdam
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Marine Biologist
N 52° 22.009 E 004° 55.571
31U E 631143 N 5803583
Quick Description: De Gooyer is a historic windmill located in Amsterdam.
Location: Noord-Holland, Netherlands
Date Posted: 4/19/2015 7:21:18 PM
Waymark Code: WMNQJ8
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member dreamhummie
Views: 1

Long Description:
"The Gooyer is a windmill in Amsterdam located between Funenkade and Zeeburgerstraat. It is the tallest wooden mill in the Netherlands. It is registered as a National Monument.

The names dates from the around 1609, when the mill was owned by Claes and Jan Willemsz, two brothers from Gooiland. It is also known as "The Funenmolen" ("The Mill on the Funen").

The Gooyer consists of a stone foundation topped by a wooden octagonal body. The mill is owned by the municipality of Amsterdam and is not open to visitors. Although the blades are functional, they no longer operate any grinding mechanism.

Next to the mill, in the former Municipal Bathhouse dating back to 1911, is the Brouwerij 't IJ. Contrary to popular belief, neither the mill nor former bathhouse have any historical or architectural relationship, and the mill fulfills no function for the brewery despite the image of a mill being in the brewery logo.

History

The original mill was constructed in the 16th century. After destruction and some movements, in 1725 the mill stood on the site of the current Orange-Nassau barracks. Finally, in 1814 the mill moved again its current location on Funenkade atop the stone base of a watermill that had been demolished in 1812.

This mill is the last 26 corn mills on the bastions of the 17th century walls of Amsterdam. The location of the mills was at that time very favourable as the outskirts of town provided ample wind.

After the mill had fallen into disrepair, it was purchased in 1928 by the city of Amsterdam for 3200 guilders and restored. Due to the lack of power during the Second World War the mill served as a corn mill for Amsterdam. The sails were damaged on November 13, 1972 during a storm. The upper shaft broke and the blades embedded in the adjacent Nieuwevaart. Some years later the original, old Dutch type blades were restored."

--Wikipedia (visit link)
Monument Number: 1107

Address of this Rijksmonument:
Funenkade 5 1018 AL Amsterdam The Netherlands


Relevant Database Website: [Web Link]

Is This Rijksmonument open to the public ?: no

Rate your Waymark:

Visit Instructions:

The requirement for logging this Waymark will be at least, shoot and post one nice picture of the Waymarking point. We prefer two pictures, one of the Rijksmonument shield and one the building.

Don't use pictures from the internet, we look at that in the review.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Rijksmonumenten - Dutch National Monuments
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.