Carthage Public Library – Carthage South Historic District – Carthage, Missouri
Posted by: Groundspeak Charter Member BruceS
N 37° 10.453 W 094° 18.818
15S E 383382 N 4115006
Quick Description: Historic Andrew Carnegie funded public library in the Carthage South Historic District in Carthage, Missouri.
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 4/16/2015 9:35:58 AM
Waymark Code: WMNQ1A
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
Views: 0

Long Description:

Carthage Public Library, 321 West Seventh, 1904. This Classical Revival structure was designed by F.B. Gunn of Kansas City and built of smooth cut Carthage marble. Built on a cross plan, it is crowned by a central dome. The interior stained glass, plasterwork and woodwork in the drum of the dome are typical of the era.

– National Register Nomination

The library was originally built using a $25,000 grant from Andrew Carnegie. The library open February 2, 1905. The library had a large addition added to the north side which opened in 2007. The old Carnegie funded library was retained and renovated in 2008.

It is in excellent condition and continues to serve its original purpose.

Name of Historic District (as listed on the NRHP): Carthage South Historic District

Link to nationalregisterofhistoricplaces.com page with the Historic District: [Web Link]

Address:
321 West Seventh Carthage, Missouri


How did you determine the building to be a contributing structure?: Narrative found on the internet (Link provided below)

Optional link to narrative or database: [Web Link]

NRHP Historic District Waymark (Optional): Not listed

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest NRHP Historic Districts - Contributing Buildings
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.