Chicago and Alton Railroad Depot - Higginsville, MO
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 39° 04.407 W 093° 43.018
15S E 437980 N 4325172
Quick Description: Among the relatively few remaining Stick style buildings in Missouri is the Chicago and Alton railroad depot; fewer yet are extant Stick style depots with the physical integrity of the Higginsville depot.
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 4/15/2015 6:13:41 AM
Waymark Code: WMNPT8
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Outspoken1
Views: 2

Long Description:

County of depot: Lafayette County
location of depot: 2109 Main Street, Higginsville
Built: 1889
Architect:

Higginsville Depot - The train depot long served as a source of travel and news with passengers and postal service using the rail line daily. While no longer an operating rail station, the depot has been restored and is now a museum

"Harvey Higgins, born in 1812 near Lexington, Fayette County, Kentucky, left home as a young man of twenty-three for Liberty, Illinois where he practiced merchandising until 1840. He then immigrated to Missouri, entered over 400 acres in Lafayette County and dealt extensively in the Boonslick grain and stock trade. He also marketed hemp in Lafayette, Missouri's largest hemp-producing county. By the Civil War Higgins had almost doubled his landholding, owned twenty-one slaves, and had become a member of the local gentry.

"In a position to direct this speculator's vision, Higgins deeded to the branch railroad a strip of land 100' x I860' with the condition that a railroad depot be built within that strip of land. The Lexington and St. Louis depot was erected at the eastern of Ambrose street. One of the first mercantile houses near the depot was managed by A.E. Asbury, another town promoter, who with Higgins, would become responsible for a cluster of prominent Higginsville sites surrounding the future Chicago and Alton depot.

"From this thriving regional center, local shipments of wheat, corn, livestock, coal (extracted from eighteen shafts active in the county), and locally manufactured brick and tile made their way to outside markets. During period, 1890-1937, the Higginsvilie C & A Depot provided freight service to the Higginsvilie Flour Mill, the International Shoe Co., and three large coal companies. It was also an important passenger terminal with ten passenger trains making daily stops. This heyday saw trains rolling through town twenty-four hours a day, and the hustle never stopped. The depot was manned by a staff of three telegraph operators, a cashier, and a clerk. There were always railroad men around who practically lived in the building." ~ NRHP Nomination form

Street address:
2109 Main Street
Higginsville, MO USA
64037


County / Borough / Parish: Lafayette County

Year listed: 1987

Historic (Areas of) Significance: Event, Architecture/Engineering

Periods of significance: 1875-1899

Historic function: Transportation

Current function: Commerce / Trade

Privately owned?: yes

Primary Web Site: [Web Link]

Secondary Website 1: [Web Link]

Secondary Website 2: [Web Link]

Season start / Season finish: Not listed

Hours of operation: Not listed

National Historic Landmark Link: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Please give the date and brief account of your visit. Include any additional observations or information that you may have, particularly about the current condition of the site. Additional photos are highly encouraged, but not mandatory.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest U.S. National Register of Historic Places
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.