304 E. Fourth – Carthage Courthouse Square Historic District – Carthage, Missouri
Posted by: Groundspeak Charter Member BruceS
N 37° 10.558 W 094° 18.541
15S E 383795 N 4115195
Quick Description: Former gas company building in the Carthage Courthouse Square Historic District in Carthage, Missouri.
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 4/11/2015 9:43:14 PM
Waymark Code: WMNP20
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member Math Teacher
Views: 1

Long Description:

At the northeast corner of Fourth and Howard stands an imposing building of Carthage stone, smooth faced. 304 E. Fourth built in the early 1900's in Classical Revival style, it houses the Gas Co. A bracketed cornice, and balustrade at roof level add to its Classicism. The large second floor, once a business college, is now empty.

– National Register Nomination

The building no longer houses the gas company. It appears to be in very good condition. Its current use is not apparent from the outside, though it could be residential.

Name of Historic District (as listed on the NRHP): Carthage Courthouse Square Historic District

Link to nationalregisterofhistoricplaces.com page with the Historic District: [Web Link]

Address:
304 E. Fourth Carthage, Missouri


How did you determine the building to be a contributing structure?: Narrative found on the internet (Link provided below)

Optional link to narrative or database: [Web Link]

NRHP Historic District Waymark (Optional): Not listed

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest NRHP Historic Districts - Contributing Buildings
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.