Mildred, TX - Population 368
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member QuarrellaDeVil
N 32° 02.243 W 096° 23.269
14S E 746672 N 3547562
Quick Description: Mildred, TX, population 368 as of this posting. This sign is located on the south side of US 287, at the western city limit.
Location: Texas, United States
Date Posted: 4/5/2015 8:17:48 PM
Waymark Code: WMNMTW
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member monkeys4ever
Views: 1

Long Description:
The City of Mildred uses The Handbook of Texas Online for its history, and both are silent as to why the city is named as such: (visit link)

Mildred, on U.S. Highway 287 seven miles southeast of Corsicana in south central Navarro County, was established as a stop on the Texas and Brazos Valley line in the late 1890s. A post office opened at the community in 1897. After oil was discovered in 1900 in the Powell-Mildred field, the town boomed briefly, its population growing to several hundred. By 1905, however, the boom had ended, and the town began to decline. In 1907 its post office closed, and by the mid-1930s Mildred had half a dozen stores, a church, a school, and a few houses; the population in 1936 was sixty-one. After World War II the stores closed, and by the mid-1960s the site had a school, a church, and a number of houses. Later its population began to grow again, and in 1990 the number of residents was reported at 173. In 2000 the population more than doubled to 405.
Address: Western city limit, US 287

Visit Instructions:
At the discretion of the Waymarker.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Population Signs
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.