Lucas, TX - Population 5166
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member QuarrellaDeVil
N 33° 03.415 W 096° 34.099
14S E 727039 N 3660226
Quick Description: Lucas, TX, population 5166 as of this posting. This sign is located on the east side of Southview Dr, at the southern city limit.
Location: Texas, United States
Date Posted: 3/29/2015 6:18:30 PM
Waymark Code: WMNKHQ
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member monkeys4ever
Views: 0

Long Description:
The Handbook of Texas Online has this to say about Lucas: (visit link)

Lucas is just north of Wylie and Parker eight miles east of US Highway 75 in southeast Collin County. It was named after Gabriel H. Lucas, son of early settler Peter F. Lucas, who arrived in 1844. Gabriel opened a store there in 1870. For nearly a century the economy of the area was based upon agriculture, chiefly cotton and corn. In 1947 Lucas had a population of 100, two stores, a gin, a school, a public softball field, and two churches. With the growth of Dallas, several housing developments have transformed Lucas from a farming community to a rural suburb. The town was incorporated in 1970, and by 1984 its population was 1,500, most of the residents being newcomers with jobs in Dallas. The gin, the old school, and the softball field have disappeared. In 1990 the population was 2,205. That figure increased to 2,890 by 2000.
Address: Southview Dr, southern city limit

Visit Instructions:
At the discretion of the Waymarker.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Population Signs
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.