Palais des ducs de Lorraine
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Infra-Blue
N 48° 41.814 E 006° 10.784
32U E 292480 N 5397600
Quick Description: Ancien Palais des Ducs de Lorraine, monument historique depuis 1840 / Former Palace of the Dukes of Lorraine, a historic monument since 1840.
Location: Grand-Est, France
Date Posted: 2/23/2015 12:03:52 AM
Waymark Code: WMNDQM
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Dorcadion Team
Views: 0

Long Description:
C'est à la fin du XIIIe siècle que le duc Ferry III (1251 - 1303) décide de mettre en chantier, au nord-est de la ville, un nouveau châtel, qui devient la résidence principale des ducs de Lorraine. Au début du XIVe siècle, le duc Raoult (1328 - 1346) y adjoint la collégiale Saint-Georges. Le château est fortement endommagé lors des Guerres de Bourgogne (1475 - 1477). Des travaux de reconstruction y sont entrepris sous le règne du duc René II (1473 - 1508). L'édifice médiéval est alors transformé et englobé dans un palais de la Renaissance. Son fils Antoine (1508) - 1544) poursuit et achève le chantier. La façade sur la Grande Rue est dessinée en associant les styles Renaissance et gothique flamboyant. La Poterie est inspirée par celle du château de Blois. Elle abrite une statue équestre d'Antoine, oeuvre de Mansuy Gauvain. Détruite à la Révolution, celle-ci a été remplacée par une reconstitution de Giorné Viard. Après la première occupation française de la Lorraine de 1633 à 1661, le palaisne fut plus utilisé comme lieu de résidence des ducs. Il fut alors transformé et en parti démoli sous le règne du duc Léopold. En 1739, le du Stanislas le cède à la municipalité de Nancy. En 1848, le Palais des ducs de Lorraine devient l'actuel Musée Lorrain.

-------------------------

It was at the end of the thirteenth century that the Duke Ferry III (1251 - 1303) decided to start work on the north-east of the city, a new Châtel, which became the main residence of the Dukes of Lorraine. At the beginning of the fourteenth century, the Duke Raoult (1328 - 1346) Assistant to the St. George College. The castle is heavily damaged during the Wars of Burgundy (1475-1477). Reconstruction work is undertaken there during the reign of Duke René II (1473-1508). The medieval building is then processed and included in a Renaissance palace. His son Antoine (1508) - 1544) continues and completes the job. The facade on the High Street is designed by combining the flamboyant Renaissance and Gothic styles. Pottery is inspired by that of the castle of Blois. It houses an equestrian statue of Antoine, designed by Mansuy Gauvain. Destroyed during the Revolution, it was replaced by a reconstruction of Giorné Viard. After the first French occupation of Lorraine from 1633 to 1661 the palaisne was increasingly used as a place of residence of the dukes. It was then transformed into a party and demolished during the reign of Duke Leopold. In 1739, the Stanislas gives way to the municipality of Nancy. In 1848, the Palace of the Dukes of Lorraine becomes the current Musée Lorrain.
Date of origin:: 1512

Architect(s): Jaques Vauthier

Style: Renaissance (ca. 1400–1500)

Type of building (structure): Town palace

Address:
Grande Rue 54000 Nancy Lorraine, France


Web site of the object (if exists): Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Logging requirements: Please upload your own personal photo of the building. You or your GPS can be in the picture, but it’s not a requirement.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Renaissance Architecture
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.