St John's Old School - Scandrett Street, London, UK
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Master Mariner
N 51° 30.221 W 000° 03.679
30U E 703945 N 5709933
Quick Description: This school that was built in two parts (1756 and 1840) is on the east side of Scandrett Street just to the north of Wapping High Street. The buildings ceased to be used as a school in the mid 20th century. The buildings have been made into 4 houses.
Location: London, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 2/14/2015 12:05:43 PM
Waymark Code: WMNCK0
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member lumbricus
Views: 0

Long Description:

The 1840 part of the building has two entrrances, one for "Boys" and one for "Infants". It is assumed that the older, 1756 part of the school, was used by the girls and, as it was divided from the new part, did not require a "Girls" inscription.

Over the doors of number 6 and 8 are two statues and the inscription:

St John of Wapping
Erected by subscription
AD 1760
supported by
voluntary contributions

Beneath each of the two statues is inscribed:

AD 1695

There are further inscriptions that state "Girls 50" and "Boys 60" and is assumed to be the number of children the original school could cater for. Over the entrances to the newer part are inscribed "Boys" and "Infants".

The Tower Hamlets website has a brief history of the buildings that tells us:

The property at 2 Scandrett Street forms part of a terrace of buildings (2-8 Scandrett Street) that would originally have made up the St Johns of Wapping Old School, a rare surviving example of an eighteenth century school building.

The school was constructed in two stages: the building to the North (now 6-8 Scandrett Street) formed the original school and was completed in 1756. The building to the South (now 2-4 Scandrett Street) was completed in the 1840’s and created a new wing to the Old School. The new wing differed in style to the original building in that it has a much simpler Soane-like character and roof lanterns.

The building ceased to be used as a school in the mid-twentieth century and by the 1960’s it was derelict - the windows were hoarded up with corrugated iron and majority of the roof was missing. The buildings also suffered some structural damage from bombings during the second world war.

Basic repairs to the buildings were carried out in the 1970’s but were not completed. The Heritage of London Trust considered taking on the buildings in the early 1980’s but this came to nothing. Plans to convert the buildings into office use during the late 1980’s were rejected over objections from English Heritage, and by 1990 the buildings were completely derelict.

The buildings are Grade II listed with the entry at the English Heritage website telling us:

1760. Yellow stock brick with parapet, brick band above ground and 2nd floors, bracketed cornice above 1st floor. Roof not visible. 3 storeys and basement, 4 windows. Central entrance bay with coupled Doric doorcases and twin niches on lst floor containing contemporary figures of boy and girl with pediment above and elliptical window in tympanum. Recessed windows, ground floor segmental heads, 1st floor, semi-circular heads. Early C19, 2 storeyed, 5 windowed southern extension, cornice aligning with that of main building. Blocking course. 3 semi-circular windows, centre 1st floor with archivolts and impost bands. Entrances in end bays with consoles and swags above. Ground floor has single segmental-headed 3 light window in centre.

Physical Address:
2-8 Scandrett Street
London, United Kingdom

Web Site: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
To log a Visit, please make every effort to supply an image of yourself BY THE LABELED DOORS. The standard GPS photo may be used as well, or even just an image that you took when you visited the location. If you do not have the option to provide an image, please provide a detailed description of your visit so we can form a 'mental image'
Search for... Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Gender Separated Entrances
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.