St Mary's Infant School - Lambeth Road, London, UK
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Master Mariner
N 51° 29.705 W 000° 07.074
30U E 700057 N 5708821
Quick Description: This building, constrcuted as St Mary's Infant School in 1880, is located on the north west side of Lambeth Road. Over the years it has been mainly used for schooling and has a ghost of a former headmistress.
Location: London, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 1/31/2015 1:59:25 AM
Waymark Code: WMNABD
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member lumbricus
Views: 0

Long Description:

The inscription on the cornerstone tells us:

St Mary's Infant School
Built on this site kindly given by
His Grace Archibald Campbell Tait
Archbishop of Cantebury
in the faith and fear of God
June 14th 1880
J Lingham MA Rector

Although mainly used for education, it had a period when it was part of the Garden Museum that is located a short distance to the west in the former church of St Mary-at-Lambeth, and is now a specialist unit know as Fairley House.

The building is Grade II listed with the entry at the English Heritage website telling us:

1880 infants' school. Vernacular style building of irregular form, long and low. Red brick with terra-cotta dressings and sloped buttress bay divisions. Very high pitched roof with deep, swept eaves and returned gable end at right, also two tall gabled dormers which embrace chimneys. A lower left section leads to the house (No 220) which has a round turret with conical roof. Gothic windows with cusped pointed arches, paired or grouped, and quatrefoil spandrels. Ground floor small round-headed two- and three-light windows.

This website tells us of Mercy Weller's ghost:

A short distance from what used to be St Mary's church, at No. 220 Lambeth Road, stands what was once St Mary's Infant School. Built in 1880, this listed Victorian building is supposedly haunted by the ghost of its first headmistress: Mercy Weller. Mercy shared her home at the school with her sister, Caroline Baskerville, and her sister's family. On 16 December 1887, aged just thirty-nine, she died. She is said to have passed away in her rooms in the upstairs part of the building. After her death, the Church Commissioners refused to let Caroline take over as headmistress, and removed her (and her family) from their home.

In 1993, the old school was purchased by the Museum of Garden History (now the Garden Museum), which renamed the building The Ark'. The museum used The Ark' for educational events, plant fairs, and to help house their library and archive.

Address:
220 Lambeth Road
London, United Kingdom


Web Site: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
To post a log, you may include a photo of yourself at the former school, or a photo of the school, but it is NOT necessary. Please indicate the number of people who visited the waymark with you.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Former Schools
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.