Temple Saint Jean - Mulhouse, Alsace, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member fi67
N 47° 44.706 E 007° 20.052
32T E 375129 N 5289313
Quick Description: Temple Saint Jean is a calvinist church in Mulhouse, built in 1836 -- Temple Saint-Jean est une église calviniste à Mulhouse, construite en 1836
Location: Grand-Est, France
Date Posted: 1/15/2015 8:02:18 AM
Waymark Code: WMN7WT
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Weathervane
Views: 2

Long Description:
EN: Temple Saint Jean is located at Rue de la Synagogue close to the historic town center of Mulhouse. When Mulhouse was predominantly German speaking, this was the parish church for the French speaking calvinists.

The history of this church dates back to the year 1657, when the authorities of Muhouse was asked for a location to worship by calvinist members of the French garrison in Breisach. King Louis XIV had banned protestant services in his garrisons, and neither the catholic nor the lutheran municipalities in the area were willing to allow calvinists on their territories. The calvinist, but German speaking, Republic of Mulhouse welcomed the applicants and the first French calvinist worship was held in 1661. The community used the old Fransican church, until it was given back to the Roman catholics in 1803. For some decades they used the German calvinist parish church, then in 1836 they could finally build their own church. It was built by Jean Charles Dufau and extended by Jean-Baptiste Schacre in 1856. In 1924 the three bells were inaugurated in in 1934 the church received its current name. In 1972 the church received the restored historic Silbermann organ from 1766 that was originally in the Temple Saint-Étienne until the mid-19th century.

The church is located in a historic residential zone with narrow sideways. There is no location where you could overlook the building as a whole to see how large it is. The front face with the small square steeple covered with black shingles looks like a small chapel at first sight.

FR: Temple Saint- Jean est situé à la rue de la Synagogue à proximité du centre historique de la ville de Mulhouse. Quand Mulhouse parlait principalement allemand, ce fut l'église paroissiale pour les calvinistes francophones.

L'histoire de cette église dérive à l'année 1657, quand on a demandé aux autorités de Muhouse un emplacement pour adorer par les membres calviniste de la garnison française à Breisach. Louis XIV avait interdit services protestants dans ses garnisons, et ni les municipalités catholique ni les luthériens dans la région étaient disposés à permettre calvinistes sur leurs territoires. Le République de Mulhouse, calviniste, mais germanophone, souhaitait la bienvenue aux solliciteurs, et le premier culte calviniste français a eu lieu en 1661. La communauté utilisé l'ancienne église Fransican, jusqu'à ce qu'elle soit rendue aux catholiques romains en 1803. Pour quelques décennies, ils ont utilisé le allemand église paroissiale calviniste, puis en 1836 ils pourraient enfin construire leur propre église. Elle a été construit par Jean Charles Dufau et prolongée par Jean-Baptiste Schacre en 1856. En 1924, les trois cloches avaient été inauguré, et en 1934 l'église a reçu son nom actuel. En 1972, l'église reçoit le historique orgue Silbermann restauré de 1766 qui était à l'origine dans le temple Saint-Étienne jusqu'à ce que le milieu du 19e siècle.

L'église est située dans une zone résidentielle historique avec les ruelles étroits. Il n'ya pas de lieu où l'on pouvait surveiller le bâtiment dans son ensemble pour voir sa grandeur. Le front avec le petit clocher carré recouvert de bardeaux noir ressemble à une petite chapelle à première vue.
Reformed or Congregational Denomination: Eglise protestante réformée d'Alsace et de Lorraine

Associated Website: [Web Link]

Status: Active House of Worship

Address:
rue de la Synagogue
Mulhouse, Alsace France
68100


Date of Construction or Event Occurrence: 1/1/1836

Architect: Jean Charles Dufau

Visit Instructions:
A complete sentence or two or an uploaded photo taken by the waymarker will be required in the log to confirm that the logger is participating in the hobby in good faith. Logs of only a few words like "Visited it" without an original photo are subject to deletion.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Continental Reformed and Congregational Church Sites
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.