St. Margarethen-Kirche - Binningen, BL, Switzerland
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member fi67
N 47° 32.588 E 007° 34.761
32T E 393094 N 5266501
Quick Description: This medieval church is located on a hill at the northern border of Binningen. It is the landmark of this town.
Location:
Date Posted: 1/13/2015 11:30:51 PM
Waymark Code: WMN7PM
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Weathervane
Views: 0

Long Description:
EN: The oldest documentation of this church that we know of is from 1251, but it must be older, not after the 11th century. In the 14th century the original church was changed and extended, maybe as as result of damages from the earthquake of 1356. In the 14th and 15th century it was part of a nun's hermit. The church was only used on special occasions, the locals usually went to the churches of Basel for worship. The church and the adjoining farming estate was sold after the reformation in 1530. In 1547 it was sold to Johann von Brügge and put back to regular use in 1549. Nobody knew that he was in fact the escaped Dutch Anabaptist leader David Joris until three years after his death. In 1673 it was extended again and it was equipped with an organ in 1721.

It 1962 it was completely renovated and there was a thorough scientific examination. This church is a landmark of Binningen. It is used by the Evangelical-Reformed church and very popular for baptisms and weddings.

DE: Die älteste Dokumentation dieser Kirche, die wir kennen, ist von 1251, aber es muss älter sein, nicht nach dem 11. Jahrhundert. Im 14. Jahrhundert wurde die ursprüngliche Kirche verändert und erweitert, vielleicht auch als Ergebnis von Schäden aus dem Erdbeben von 1356. In der 14. und 15. Jahrhundert war es Teil einer Nonnenklause. Die Kirche wurde nur zu besonderen Anlässen verwendet, die Einheimischen gingen in der Regel für den Gottesdienst in die Kirchen von Basel. Die Kirche und das angrenzende landwirtschaftliche Anwesen wurde nach der Reformation im Jahr 1530 verkauft. Im Jahre 1547 wurde es von Johann von Brügge erworben und 1549 wieder für regelmässige Gottesdienste eingesetzt. Bis drei Jahre nach seinem Tod wusste niemand, dass er in Wirklichkeit der geflohene niederländischen Wiedertäuferführer David Joris war. Im Jahre 1673 wurde es erneut erweitert und 1721 mit einer Orgel ausgestattet.

Die Kirche wurde 1962 komplett renoviert und es gab eine gründliche wissenschaftliche Untersuchung. Sie ist ein Wahrzeichen von Binningen. Sie wird von der Evangelisch-reformierten Kirche genutzt und ist sehr beliebt für Taufen und Hochzeiten.
Reformed or Congregational Denomination: Evangelisch-reformierte Landeskirche des Kantons Basel-Landschaft

Associated Website: [Web Link]

Status: Active House of Worship

Address:
St. Margarethen 8
Binningen, BL Switzerland
4102


Date of Construction or Event Occurrence: 1/1/1251

Architect: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
A complete sentence or two or an uploaded photo taken by the waymarker will be required in the log to confirm that the logger is participating in the hobby in good faith. Logs of only a few words like "Visited it" without an original photo are subject to deletion.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Continental Reformed and Congregational Church Sites
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.