Kirche St. Martin - Basel, Switzerland
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member fi67
N 47° 33.530 E 007° 35.319
32T E 393826 N 5268233
Quick Description: The oldest parish church of Basel on the northern end of the Cathedral Hill.
Location:
Date Posted: 1/10/2015 10:40:39 AM
Waymark Code: WMN78C
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Weathervane
Views: 0

Long Description:
EN: The Church St. Martin is located on the north end of Münster hill and said to be the oldest parish church of Basel.

Some historians assume a foundation in the 6th or 7th century, but actually proved is its existence in the year 1101. During the 13th century it was expanded. The reconstruction of the 14th century are hardly due to earthquake damage, as St. Martin was a construction site, when the tremors hit Basel.

In 1525 The Reformer Oecolampadius became a priest in St. Martin, 1528/29 many sculptures and murals were destroyed or removed in the iconoclasm.

After the Reformation, the decline of the church began. It was used less and less, until finally the use of the building as a warehouse during the French occupation in 1798 completely ruined it.

As of 1810 the church attracted more attention and in 1850/51 it was fully restored. The fresco above the entrance to the Martinskirchplatz was created by Hans Rohner in the year 1922.

Traditionally the yearly autumn fair starts with the sound of the bell of this church on 11 o'clock in the last Saturday in October. This has happened without a break since 1471.

DE: Die Martinskirche steht auf dem nördlichen Ende des Münsterhügels und gilt als älteste Pfarrkirche Basels.

Einige Historiker nehmen eine Gründung im 6. oder 7. Jahrhundert an, aber tatsächlich bewiesen ist ihre Existenz erst ab dem Jahr 1101. Im 13. Jahrhundert wurde sie ausgebaut. Die Umbauten des 14. Jahrhunderts sind kaum auf Erdbebenschäden zurückzuführen, da St. Martin eine Baustelle war, als die Erdstösse Basel trafen.

1525 wurde der Reformator Oekolampad Priester in St. Martin, 1528/29 wurden im Bildersturm viele Skulpturen und Wandmalereien zerstört oder entfernt.

Nach der Reformation begann der Niedergang der Kirche. Sie wurde immer weniger genutzt, bis schliesslich die Nutzung als Lagerhalle während der französischen Besatzung 1798 das Gebäude völlig ruinierte.

Ab 1810 wurde der Kirche wieder mehr Aufmerksamkeit zuteil und 1850/51 wurde sie vollständig restauriert. Das Fresko über dem Portal zum Martinskirchplatz stammt von Hans Rohner aus dem Jahr 1922.

Traditionell beginnt die jährliche Herbstmesse mit dem Klang der Glocke der Kirche um 11 Uhr am letzten Samstag im Oktober. Seit 1471 hat es dabei keinen Untebruch gegeben.
Reformed or Congregational Denomination: Evangelical-Reformed Church of the Canton Basel-Stadt

Associated Website: [Web Link]

Status: Active House of Worship

Address:
Martinskirchplatz 4
Basel, BS Switzerland
4051


Date of Construction or Event Occurrence: 3/1/1101

Architect: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
A complete sentence or two or an uploaded photo taken by the waymarker will be required in the log to confirm that the logger is participating in the hobby in good faith. Logs of only a few words like "Visited it" without an original photo are subject to deletion.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Continental Reformed and Congregational Church Sites
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.