Pea Ridge College - 103 years - Pes Ridge, AR
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 36° 27.241 W 094° 06.874
15S E 400123 N 4034884
Quick Description: Site now a city park bordering the high school campus
Location: Arkansas, United States
Date Posted: 1/7/2015 5:41:17 AM
Waymark Code: WMN6XC
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member silverquill
Views: 1

Long Description:

County of memorial: Benton County
Location of memorial: W. Pickens Rd. & N. Curtis Ave., city park, Pea Ridge
Memorial erected in 1986
Memorial erected by: Arkansas/Benton County Sesquicentennial

Monument text:

MEMORIAL TO THE
OLD PEA RIDGE COLLEGE AND GYM
Bell cast in 1888. Brick, made locally
in 1880 and used 103 years on this campus
ARKANSAS/BENTON COUNTY SESQUICENTENNIAL 1986

According to my research most of the bricks made in this area were made by W. T. Pattersn. He also build and owned half the town at one point.
Also difference between submitter to Wikipedia and the local historical society as to building use and times it existed.
Wikipedia text to follow and the historical society text is in the web link provided below

"The first known school to operate at Pea Ridge was the Shelton Academy, opened in 1851 with a Professor Lockhart as teacher. For unknown reasons (possibly low enrollment and inadequate funds), the school closed in 1858. In 1874, Reverend Elijah Buttram opened a school at Buttram's Chapel outside town, with Professor John Rains Roberts as principal. After five years, the school, sponsored by the Masonic lodge, the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, and local patrons, was moved into Pea Ridge where, in 1880, a two-story brick schoolhouse was erected. The school was granted a charter as an academy in 1884, and in 1887–88, the building was enlarged to accommodate 250 pupils. Professor Roberts directed the academy until 1894. Nannie Roberts, his sister, devoted her long career to teaching younger pupils at Pea Ridge Academy and later in the public school. By 1914, the academy was known as the Pea Ridge Masonic College. It operated until 1916, offering elementary, high school, and college-level instruction. Then, as community sentiment favored forming a public school system, the college was closed, and the property deeded to the Pea Ridge Public School. In 1930, the school district dismantled the college building and constructed a one-story building on the site. Principal Joe Roulhac, a noted local educator and carpenter, supervised the design and construction. Extra wings were added in the late 1940s and early 1950s. This community landmark, which housed the entire school before 1948, served as home of the Pea Ridge High School until 2001, when a new high school complex was completed on West Pickens Road. The 1930 building was finally razed in March 2005 after estimated costs to update the aging building to current school standards, or to convert it to other community uses, were determined to be prohibitive" ~ Wikipedia

Anniversary Year: 1983

Year of Event, Organization or Occurance: 1874

Address:
W. Pickens Rd. (AR 72)
Pea Ridge, AR USA
72764


Website: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
1. Original photo if possible. A narrative of your visit.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Commercial Commemorations
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.