Former St. Andrew’s United Church - Kamloops, BC
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters
N 50° 40.500 W 120° 20.241
10U E 688126 N 5617067
Quick Description: Standing majestically on the corner of Seymour Street and Second Avenue, St. Andrew's is the oldest public building in Kamloops, having been built in 1887. It was originally built as a Presbyterian Church on land donated by the CPR.
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Date Posted: 1/5/2015 12:19:33 AM
Waymark Code: WMN6K3
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Weathervane
Views: 3

Long Description:
A Presbyterian Church until Church Union in Canada in 1925, St. Andrew's served a United Church congregation in Kamloops for only 17 of its 128 years, until 1942. In that year it was purchased by the Pentecostal Assemblies of Canada. Now owned by the city of Kamloops and completely restored, it is used as a public hall. This is the oldest public building in the city.

St. Andrew's on the Square

Description of Historic Place
Located at the corner of Seymour Street and Second Avenue in the heart of downtown Kamloops, St. Andrew’s on the Square is a prominent, late Victorian Gothic Revival church with an offset square front tower and spire. A large public square is now located to the east side, but is not included in the formal recognition.

Heritage Value
St. Andrew’s on the Square is significant as a community facility and focal point that has served the changing social and religious needs of Kamloops residents for well over a century.

Built in 1887, the church is valued as the City’s oldest public building. In response to the growth of the city and the expansion of the original local Presbyterian congregation, the church was built on land donated by the Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) at a location that was then on the outskirts of town. Construction funds were raised largely by CPR employees, many of whom were of Scottish descent. The church served a Presbyterian congregation until 1925, when unification resulted in the formation of the United Church of Canada. In 1942, it was purchased by the Pentecostal Assemblies of Canada and renamed Calvary Temple. During the late 1950s and 1960s, this site housed the largest Sunday School in Canada. Over the years, the church was also used by various groups for meetings, as a badminton hall and as a gymnasium.

This historic place is also valued for its association with the Reverend Phil Gaglardi (1913-1995), one-time provincial Minister of Highways famed for the expansion of B.C.’s road and ferry systems, who led the church during a period that included a restoration in 1945 and the construction of a large addition to the south in 1958.

The church also has social value as a successful community centre and reception hall. In 1991, after a period of decline, the building was bought by the City to prevent demolition. In 1996, through the collective efforts of tireless volunteers, the Kamloops Heritage Society, the City of Kamloops and a grant from the B.C. Heritage Trust, St. Andrew's Church was restored to its original exterior appearance and reopened for public use in association with the adjacent public square.

St. Andrew’s on the Square is valued as a noteworthy late Victorian example of the Gothic Revival style, as seen in its impressive Gothic pointed-arch windows, steeple, corner buttresses and scalloped wooden roof ridge. The window sash are fitted with stained-glass panels donated by various firms and residents since 1999.

Furthermore, the Church is a significant surviving example of the work of influential architect, civil engineer, surveyor and politician Robert Henry Lee (1859-1935), who was responsible for laying out the townsites of Nicola, Merritt and Princeton, and produced architectural designs for numerous residences, a Roman Catholic Church, a branch of the Bank of B.C. and this church. Lee was active in civic affairs, serving on the first Kamloops Council in 1893, and as mayor from 1894 to 1896.
From the Kamloops Heritage Register

St. Andrew's

Reformed or Congregational Denomination: United Church of Canada

Associated Website: [Web Link]

Status: Converted to other use

Address:
159 Seymour Street
Kamloops, BC Canada
V2C 1Z7


Date of Construction or Event Occurrence: 1/1/1887

Architect: Robert Henry Lee

Visit Instructions:
A complete sentence or two or an uploaded photo taken by the waymarker will be required in the log to confirm that the logger is participating in the hobby in good faith. Logs of only a few words like "Visited it" without an original photo are subject to deletion.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Continental Reformed and Congregational Church Sites
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.