Trinity United Church - Merritt, BC
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters
N 50° 06.667 W 120° 47.502
10U E 657890 N 5553320
Quick Description: The Presbyterians of Merritt had, shortly after the turn of the century, met for years in various locations in the town. In 1908, land for a church was bought for $400. By November of 1910 the congregation had a church.
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Date Posted: 1/4/2015 11:23:10 PM
Waymark Code: WMN6JX
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Weathervane
Views: 2

Long Description:
Trinity United Church

In 1908, [Reverend W. J.] Kidd saw that land for a church was purchased from William Voght, for the sum of $400. A deed was then made out to five gentlemen who would act as trustees: G.B. Armstrong, Isaac Eastwood, Alexander J. Gordon, Phillip McLean, and the seller, William Voght.

A contract for the building was let to Phillip McLean in 1910, and by November of that year, St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church was erect and habitable. Opening services were held on the first Sunday of December, with the Rev. George Murray of Nicola and the resident pastor, Rev. Kidd, conducting services. In 1921 the last payment was made on the mortgage and the property was clear of debt.

Around that time, William Voght, who has been called the father of Presbyterianism in Merritt, presented the church with a stained glass window, in memory of his wife, which was placed in the south end of the church overlooking Voght’s farm residence a block south.

Soon, a Sunday school room was added to the church, and then a manse on the adjoining lot. The church was left with a debt of $1,500 when the manse was finished, and by 1922, that debt had grown to $1,800. Church organizations worked hard thereafter to pay off the bills, and soon they were able to paint the church and manse, and fit the church with a badly-needed furnace.

In 1925, an event occurred across Canada that would profoundly affect the Merritt Presbyterian church. Four Protestant denominations, the Presbyterian Church, the Methodist Church, the Congregational Union, and from Saskatchewan the Association of Local Union Churches, were merged and the United Church of Canada was formed.

Therefore, on June 5, 1927, the former Presbyterian Church of Merritt became Trinity United Church, and some 80 years later, this historic building and congregation continues to thrive.

In 1923, Rev. W.R. Brown published a booklet describing the earliest years of the Presbyterian Church in Merritt; fifty cents from the sale of each booklet went to pay the church’s debt. Near the end of this short publication are these words about the church. “Its bond of union is not organization, but sympathy, and it knows no law, but the law of love.” Today, Rev. Brown’s heartfelt words continue to define the community and spiritual response of this important Merritt church.
From Gold Trail Dot Com, Pages 93, 94


BIBLIOGRAPHY & SOURCES

Brown, Rev. W.R. (1923). St. Andrews Presbyterian Church Souvenir Book, marking the thirteenth anniversary of the opening of the church. Merritt, BC: Self.

Trinity Trinity
Trinity Trinity

Reformed or Congregational Denomination: United Church of Canada

Associated Website: [Web Link]

Status: Active House of Worship

Address:
1899 Quilchena Avenue
Merritt, BC Canada
V1K 1B8


Date of Construction or Event Occurrence: 11/1/1910

Architect: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
A complete sentence or two or an uploaded photo taken by the waymarker will be required in the log to confirm that the logger is participating in the hobby in good faith. Logs of only a few words like "Visited it" without an original photo are subject to deletion.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Continental Reformed and Congregational Church Sites
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.