St. Mary’s Anglican-United Church - Sorrento, BC
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters
N 50° 52.605 W 119° 28.310
11U E 326104 N 5639030
Quick Description: Built as an Anglican church, beginning in 1910, this was first a log church, built entirely by volunteer labour. In 1938 dry rot had sufficiently deteriorated the logs that a nearly complete rebuild was in order.
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Date Posted: 1/4/2015 11:13:19 PM
Waymark Code: WMN6JV
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member fi67
Views: 0

Long Description:
In the course of the rebuilding of the church, the supporting walls were changed from log to wood frame walls, with English Tudor style trim throughout. This rebuild was designed by Kamloops architect, Ian Robertson Marrison and the church reopened for services on July 10, 1938.

On July 1, 1971 the church became an Ecumenical Shared Ministry with the United Church of Canada. It has a single congregation ministered by a single single clergyperson.

In 1974, the Roman Catholic Church began to use the church and from the early 1980s until 2009, when they moved to their own church, held regular services in this building.

A bell is mounted on the west end of the sanctuary under an extended eave, rather a novel mounting method for a bell tower.

In the west churchyard is the Anglican Cemetery, somewhat predating the church, having been in use since 1905. There are approximately 300 gravesites in the cemetery, nearly all level with the ground.

St. Mary's St. Mary's
St. Mary's St. Mary's
Our History

In 1910, Alexander McKay, a skilled journeyman living on the North Shore of Shuswap Lake, began cutting the logs for a new church building, with the help of other local settlers. The church, which was finished in mid summer of 1911, was built entirely by volunteer labour, the result of brush clearing, tree chopping, planing, sawing and mortaring, a huge effort of a few dozen men and women who wanted a place to worship.

Mrs. C.C. Davidson was chosen to lay the corner stone. She was the daughter-in-law of the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Canada, Sir Charles Piers Davidson and she had come with her husband to this lake settlement in 1909. The Rt. Rev. Adam Urias de Pencier travelled all the way from the Pacific Coast to consecrate this new Anglican church with its cobble stone foundation, log walls and hand-hewn shingle roof. Present for the great occasion were the settlers from the lakeshore communities of Sorrento, Blind Bay, Scotch Creek and Anglement. A congregation of 65 people was present at the consecration by Bishop de Pencier on December 10, 1911.

On Trinity Sunday, May 18, 1913, the new parish was placed in charge of the Rev. R.E. Grice-Hutchison. The first wedding at the church took place in 1920 with the Rev. Grice-Hutchison officiating. He married Alfred and Edith Salter, who were immigrants from England homesteading in the Notch Hill area. The Salter’s grand-daughter, Pamela, was married in the same church some 64 years later. In 1938 the church building, which had been constructed of unpeeled fir logs, was found to be full of dry rot which forced an almost complete rebuilding of the structure. The new design was executed under Kamloops architect, Ian Robertson Marrison, F.R.A.I.C. It was his idea to redesign the outside of the building showing white stucco and timbers to give it a Tudor look. The remodeled church was reopened by the Bishop on July 10, 1938.

As the district began to grow after the Second World War, the developing population supported a renewed growth of interest in St. Mary’s which began to have a regular pastorate in the early 1970s. An inspired idea had grown in the community for an agreement between the Anglican Diocese of Kootenay and the Kamloops/Okanagan Presbytery of the United Church of Canada. This Ecumenical Shared Ministry began on July 1, 1971, with the Rev. Norman Wilkinson as Incumbent.

In 1974, the Roman Catholic Church needed a new home in the Sorrento area and began using St. Mary’s church as their place of worship. From the early 1980s until 2009 the congregation, known as Our Lady of the Lake Parish, held regular masses on Saturday evenings or Sunday mornings in our church, moving into their own building in June of 2009.

From an active congregation of about fifteen parishioners in 1970, St. Mary’s has shown steady growth. In 1975 the Church Board established a fund to enlarge and modernize the church building to accommodate an increased population and a Sunday School. In 1986, the building committee, with the help of the Diocese of the Anglican Church, ordered the construction of an addition to the church. A local contractor, Terry Ramsay, undertook the work. The finished building now has more than double the capacity of the original, with an extended chancel and ample office and vestry space. The new downstairs has a hall and kitchen and modern plumbing.
From St. Mary's

Reformed or Congregational Denomination: United Church of Canada

Associated Website: [Web Link]

Status: Active House of Worship

Address:
1188 Trans-Canada Highway
Sorrento, BC Canada
V0E 2W0


Date of Construction or Event Occurrence: 1/1/1910

Architect: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
A complete sentence or two or an uploaded photo taken by the waymarker will be required in the log to confirm that the logger is participating in the hobby in good faith. Logs of only a few words like "Visited it" without an original photo are subject to deletion.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Continental Reformed and Congregational Church Sites
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.