1919 - Freestone County Courthouse - Fairfield, TX
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Raven
N 31° 43.551 W 096° 09.587
14R E 769118 N 3513558
Quick Description: Erected in 1919 and completed two years later, the current Freestone County Courthouse in Fairfield, TX is the 4th courthouse for that county since its inception in 1850; it cost a grand total of $125,000 to build.
Location: Texas, United States
Date Posted: 12/28/2014 1:07:13 PM
Waymark Code: WMN56V
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Team Sieni
Views: 0

Long Description:
Date - 1919
Architect - W.R. Kaufman
Style - Classical Revival
Material - Brick

The building's cornerstone is located on the NE corner of the brick structure, it is not easily noticed unless one happens to be right in that area.

A brief [abbreviated] narrative of Fairfield (the seat of Freestone County, TX) and its four courthouses, per the Texas State Historical Association:

"Fairfield, the county seat of Freestone County, is at the junction of Interstate Highway 45, U.S. highways 75 and 84 [...] in the center of the county. The site was originally called Mound Prairie, but the name was changed to Fairfield when the location was chosen for the county seat in 1850. The original townsite, 100 acres of the Redin Gainer league, was donated by David Hall Love. In 1851–52, 128 lots were auctioned off for prices ranging from six dollars to $101. Rich farmland, vast amounts of timber, clear springs, and proximity to the Trinity River for transportation attracted settlers from the eastern states. Fairfield acquired a post office in 1851 and by September 1852 had three dry-goods stores, two hotels, a grocery, and a jail. A Fairfield Masonic lodge chartered in 1853 was still active in 1989. The first of four courthouses, a small wooden building described as "no better than a pigsty," was built about 1852. New courthouses were built—in 1854–56, at a cost of $8,330; in 1891–92, at a cost of $22,120; and in 1919–21, at a cost of $125,000. In 1891 and 1918 the need for a new courthouse led to county-seat elections in which Fairfield defeated Wortham and Teague, respectively."
Year of construction: 1919

Cross-listed waymark: [Web Link]

Full inscription:
North-facing side: ERECTED 1919 S.W. ROBINSON COUNTY JUDGE COMMISSIONERS G.C. TERRY - J.B. ROBERTS - S.L. BRYANT - J.W. LINDLEY W.M. RICE CONTRACTOR - W.R. KAUFMAN ARCHITECT. ----- East-facing side: FAIRFIELD LODGE NO. 103 W.M. HENDERSON W.M. W.D. PHILLIPS S.M. W.H. CHILDS J.W.


Visit Instructions:

When logging a visit to a waymark in this category, please provide one or more photos taken by yourself, and note down your impressions and any background information you may have.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Dated Buildings and Cornerstones
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Raven visited 1919 - Freestone County Courthouse - Fairfield, TX 12/10/2014 Raven visited it