Reverend Morell Fowler Window - St. James Church - Deer Lodge, MT
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters
N 46° 24.006 W 112° 44.035
12T E 366710 N 5139963
Quick Description: St. James Episcopal Church has stood for 136 years as of 2014. With and without a priest, it has been in continuous use ever since. It is now on its fifth life, having survived four fires in that time.
Location: Montana, United States
Date Posted: 12/23/2014 8:13:35 PM
Waymark Code: WMN47N
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member NCDaywalker
Views: 0

Long Description:
Inside the church are many stained glass windows, some of which appear to be original and some of which were installed later. Most are dedicated to past parishioners. This, the chancel window, was donated in memory of Reverend Morell Fowler.

The chancel window was presented by Miss Alice B. Higgins to memorialise the death of Rev. Morell Fowler who, with his wife and five children, were killed on the Hudson railroad February 6, 1878. The sum of $1,000 was presented to Bishop Tuttle in 1871 by the parish of St. James, Batavia, NY toward building a memorial church to Rev. Morell Fowler. This sum, with interest, amounted to $1500. Two fairs yielded $2,000 and the public subscribed $500. There are twelve single stained glass windows with the memorial window and double window. The bell was presented by the friends of Henry S. Arthur, of Cincinnati, who died here in 1874. The baptismal font was presented by his aunt, Mrs. Weaver, and the altar cloths by Miss Hudson, of the Boston sisterhood.
From a History of Montana. 1739-1885, Page 562.

The inscription on the window reads:

In Memoriam
Reverend Morell Fowler
Obiit. Feb, 6. 1871.

There is a discrepancy between the date on the window (1871) and the date of Reverend Fowler's death as taken from the 1885 history (1878). Several accounts of the rail disaster indicate that the 1871 date is the correct one.

The first Episcopal services were held in Deer Lodge in 1868 with Bishop Daniel Tittle conducting services. The church did not have a resident priest until 1875, when Reverend Mahlon Norris Gilbert took over the little congregation. Still without a church, services were held at the town hall then later at the courthouse.

On December 2, 1877, after years of fundraising, the first services were held in St. James Episcopal, the same church that serves the congregation today. Built of locally quarried stone, it was built by the Reverend and the parishioners. At the time the little town of Deer Lodge had a population of about 500.

St. James was the second congregation to have a church in Deer Lodge, the first being the Immaculate Conception Catholic Church, which opened their second church in 1875.

On November 23, 2011, the Silver State Post published the first of a series of articles on the religious history of Deer Lodge, Montana. This article, entitled "Local Faiths: St. James Episcopal", was the first of the series. Much of the historical information contained therein is from the memories of a 90 year old parishioner, Marge Beck, who joined the parish in 1921.

Distribution and reproduction of archived articles at the Silver State Post website is prohibited so, instead of reproducing it here, I've provided a link to The Story on the Silver State Post's website.


St. James

Website with more information on either the memorial or the person(s) it is dedicated to: [Web Link]

Location: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Add another photo of the memorial. You and/or your GPS can be in the photo, but this isn't necessary.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Citizen Memorials
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.