Springhouse at Chapel Saint Quirin, Luxembourg
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Queens Blessing
N 49° 36.346 E 006° 08.101
32U E 293014 N 5498742
Quick Description: This spring is housed in a rock covering to protect the waters which are considered to have curative powers.
Location: Luxembourg
Date Posted: 11/1/2014 11:05:30 AM
Waymark Code: WMMT3V
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member silverquill
Views: 1

Long Description:
The spring at the Saint Quirin Chapel in Luxembourg is reported to have the power to heal eye ailments, which were common to individuals who had skin diseases during the Medieval times. The spring is located about 80 feet below the chapel, accessed via the paved walkway, and the spring has been protected by a round, mounded shroud made of native rock, which have dark discoloration. The springs are still active (running water).

The spring is closely related to the chapel; chapel's history indicates it was originally a pagan site, but in the 11th century it was consecrated to Christianity and St. Quirin. During the Medieval period, which lasted from the 5th to the 15th century, it was common for Christians to embark on pilgramages, whereby they attempted to become closer to God by undertaking physical travel toward this spiritual goal or others (such as to seek a miraculous cure, expiate a crime, fulfill a vow or simply deepen their faith). In 1355, a gothic pilgramage adapted the chapel by partly hewing a chapel into the rock inside the chapel.

ABOUT THE SPRINGS:

The following is attributed to the publication "Castellum", Vol 13, No. 1 published June 2009, by President Gary Little (Luxembourg Collectors Club and contributors)
link: lcc.luxcentral.com/pdf/2009-june.pdf

"The tour of the lower towns begins with the unusual St. Quirin Chapel, hewn into the rock of the south face of the Pétrusse valley,
across from the St. Esprit Citadel high above. This chapel is the oldest place of worship in the country. Its origins date to the 4th
century when a pagan cult formed here to worship the goddesses of springs and waters who were said to be responsible for the healing powers in connection with eye diseases of a nearby rock spring.

After Christianity had come to Luxembourg, the chapel was used to worship the Roman martyr Quirin (d. 189) who was appointed guardian of the spring. Quirin was also the patron saint of Luxembourg until 1666.

The Knights of the Teutonic Order built the facade of the chapel, featuring narrow Gothic windows, in 1355. Two natural caverns in the
rock face, which house the choir and the nave, form the interior of the chapel."

ABOUT THE KNIGHTS OF THE TEUTONIC ORDER:
The Knights of the Teutonic Order was a small German military order during the medieval times (later transformed into a purerly religious Catholic order), formed to aid Christians who were conducting pilgrimages, and to establish hospitals, mercenary in purpose.

...............................
The above information was compiled from these sources:
www.building.am/page.php?id=103
www.wort.lu/en/community/discover-luxembourg-city-s-most-overlooked-treasure-the-church-in-the-rock-4f60c913e4b047833b93d282
www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/pilg/hd_pilg.htm
mjfenn.hubpages.com/hub/Visiting-the-Chapel-of-Saint-Quirin-Luxembourg-City-ancient-church-building-cleft-in-the-rock
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teutonic_Knights

HERE ARE THE LINKS TO THE SOURCES:
(visit link)
(visit link)
(visit link)
(visit link)
(visit link)
Visit Instructions:
Describe your visit and post at lease one original photo.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Spring Houses
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.