M. E. Frazee - Greenwood, BC - 1899
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters
N 49° 05.408 W 118° 40.577
11U E 377616 N 5438828
Quick Description: Morellos Frazee, grocer and baker, placed this ad on page eight of the Boundary Creek Times' Saturday December 16th, 1899 issue.
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Date Posted: 10/24/2014 5:14:15 PM
Waymark Code: WMMQ9C
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member TheBeanTeam
Views: 0

Long Description:
Greenwood was just one of dozens of mining towns which sprang up in the boundary country of southern BC in the late 1800s and early 1900s. This would have been one of the earliest buildings to have been built in Greenwood that still stands. The first tenant was the aforementioned Morellos Frazee, who operated a grocery store and bakery out of the building for many years.

201 S. Government - The Frazee Block c.1897
(Greenwood Fire Hall)

This building is a fine example of the common construction in mining boom towns at the turn of the 19th century. Such buildings went up as quickly as possible, often within a month using locally obtained materials. Morellos Frazee was the first tenant who ran a bakery and grocery store. This was #10 building during the internment years of World War II and in 1942 14 families lived in the building. When the original schoolhouse burnt down on New Year's Eve 1951 the bottom section was used for temporary classrooms.
From the Greenwood Heritage Walk


Frazee Block

Built around 1897, this is a perfect example of one of the most common methods and styles of construction in mining towns at the turn-of-the-century. Buildings went up as quickly as possible, often within a month, using locally obtained materials.

During the internment years of the Second World War the Frazee Block became Building #10. In the basement was a bathhouse. Laundry sinks were installed on the first and second floors. When the original town school burned down in the early 50s, it became a temporary school.

Today the Frazee Block is home of the Greenwood Volunteer Fire Department. At the original 1898 firehall on Long Street (since destroyed by fire) firefighters used hose carts and hook-and-ladder trucks. The fire bell, which is on display at City Hall, was part of an elaborate town-wide alarm system. There was even a fire hydrant downtown.
From the plaque on the building

Name of publication (required):
Boundary Creek Times

Date of Publication (required):
Saturday December 16, 1899

Does the ad identify the location of the company?: no

Web URL to additional proof of location or additional information.: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
Share your thoughts or memories of the location. You must have visited this location in person to post a visit.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Vintage Ad Locations
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.