Park Royal Underground Station - Western Avenue, Hanger Hill, London, UK
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Master Mariner
N 51° 31.620 W 000° 17.061
30U E 688373 N 5711928
Quick Description: Park Royal tube station serves London Underground's Piccadilly Line. The entrance and ticket office are on the south west side of the A40 Western Avenue with the platforms and tracks being below street level in a cutting.
Location: London, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 10/16/2014 8:20:47 AM
Waymark Code: WMMNW8
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member veritas vita
Views: 0

Long Description:

Wikipedia has an article about Park Royal tube station that tells us:

Park Royal is a station on the Piccadilly line of the London Underground. It is between North Ealing and Alperton and is in Travelcard Zone 3. It is situated on the south side of the east-west Western Avenue (A40), surrounded by residential Ealing and industrial Park Royal. There is a pedestrian subway under the A40 road near the station.

The station's platforms have a continuous significant gradient (sloping up from south to north).

The District Railway (DR, now the District line) opened the line through Park Royal on its new extension to South Harrow on 23 June 1903. A station, Park Royal & Twyford Abbey, was opened at that time a short distance to the north of the current station to serve the Royal Agricultural Society's recently opened Park Royal show grounds.

The current station was built for the extension of Piccadilly line services over the District line tracks to South Harrow. It opened on 6 July 1931 and replaced the earlier station which closed on the previous day.

First opened as a temporary timber structure, the current station building was designed by Welch & Lander in an Art Deco/Streamline Moderne style influenced by the Underground's principal architect Charles Holden. The station buildings are formed from a series of simple interconnecting geometric shapes. Plain red brick masses are accented with strong horizontal and vertical glazed elements. A large circular ticket hall with high level windows gives access to the platform stairs. The enclosures for these form cascades of glazed steps down to the platforms. The most prominent feature of the station building is the tall square tower adjacent to the ticket hall. This is adorned with the Underground roundel; and represents a visible locator for the station from some distance. The permanent structure was opened in 1936. Attached to the station building and across the small open space of Hanger Green are two curved three-storey retail and office buildings built in the same style as the station.

On 4 July 1932, the Piccadilly line was extended to run west of its original terminus at Hammersmith sharing the route with the District line to Ealing Common. From Ealing Common to South Harrow, the District line was replaced by the Piccadilly line.

From 1 March 1936 until 1947 the station name was modified to Park Royal (Hanger Hill). The suffix was then dropped and the station returned to the unmodified version. Hanger Hill referred to a residential estate adjacent to the station.

London Buses routes 95 and 487 serve the station.

Wikipedia Url: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
To post a visit log to this waymark you need to visit and write about the actual physical location. Any pictures you take at the location would be great, as well.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Wikipedia Entries
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.