St. Sebastianskirche - Salzburg, Austria
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Marine Biologist
N 47° 48.231 E 013° 02.850
33T E 353803 N 5296345
Quick Description: St. Sebastianskirche (English: St. Sebastian's Church) is a Roman Catholic Church in Salzburg, Austria. It was constructed during 1749-1753 in the late Baroque architectural style.
Location: Salzburg, Austria
Date Posted: 9/13/2014 5:22:42 PM
Waymark Code: WMMFKK
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member silverquill
Views: 1

Long Description:
"The history of St. Sebastian's Church can be traced to Archbishop Leonhard von Keutschach who had the church erected from 1505 to 1512.

The deteriorating, late Gothic church, which ancient views of the city depict with a small tower and steep roof, was torn down in 1750 and replaced by a late Baroque colonnaded hall. The reconstruction work was performed by Franz Anton Danreiter and the Tyrolese architect Kassian Singer. The magnificent Rokoko portal by Josef Anton Pfaffinger and the elaborate gate designed by Philipp Hinterseer in 1752 are of particular value. The high altar is decorated with a beautiful Madonna with Child, the work of Hans Waldburger dating back to 1611.

The devastating town fire in 1818 which destroyed large sectors of the town on the right bank of the river also burned parts of St. Sebastian's Church. The ceiling frescoes painted by Paul Troger and the high altar painting depicting St. Sebastian were completely destroyed.

Renovation of the church in the style of the 19th century commenced in 1820. The Baroque paintings were replaced by works of contemporary artists and the confessional boxes modernized."

--Source (visit link)

"The Sebastian Church today is a late baroque hall building, which was built 1749-1753 and probably to designs by the architect Cassiano Singer (1712-1759). It has a slightly early in the Linzer Gasse facade tower, which is crowned by an onion dome with a lantern. The portals in the tower ground floor and in the chancel were designed after 1750 by Franz Anton Danreiter. The interior is fitted with a barrel vault. The bust of Saint Sebastian at the entrance is attributed to Josef Anton Pfaff Inger. The figures in the brackets in the nave date from the mid 18th century and represent the St. Andrew and Peter and Paul. The crucifix in the lobby and the figure of the Sorrowful Mother Mary comes from Franz Seraphikus Nissl and originated around 1820, the organ was created in 1828 by Karl Mauracher.

Particularly impressive is the resulting final grid of the Church of Phillipp Hinterseer (1752), are woven into the wrought iron roses, vines, vases and shells, and the counts together with the final grid in the St. Peter's Church in the Old Town of the major works of the artist."

--German Wikipedia translated by Google Translate (visit link)
Type of Church: Church

Status of Building: Actively in use for worship

Date of organization: 1/1/1505

Date of building construction: 1/1/1753

Dominant Architectural Style: Late Baroque

Archdiocese: Salzburg

Diocese: Salzburg

Address/Location:
Linzer Gasse 41
Salzburg, Austria
5020


Relvant Web Site: [Web Link]

Associated Shrines, Art, etc.: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
To log a visit to this waymark, you must post at least one original photo of the site, give the date and a brief description of your visit.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Roman Catholic Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
rotpinsel visited St. Sebastianskirche - Salzburg, Austria 3/22/2012 rotpinsel visited it