Chiesa di San Gaetano di Thiene - Siena, Italy
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member razalas
N 43° 19.067 E 011° 20.342
32T E 689668 N 4798761
Quick Description: The Church of St. Cajetan is located in Siena, in via dei Pispini (at the junction with via dell'Oliviera) and is now the oratory of the Nobile Contrada del Nicchio.
Location: Toscana, Italy
Date Posted: 9/8/2014 6:24:33 AM
Waymark Code: WMME9B
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Dorcadion Team
Views: 1

Long Description:
[IT]
"L'oratorio della Nobile Contrada del Nicchio fu edificato tra il 1683 e il 1700. La semplice facciata è arricchita da una grande nicchia in stucco con al centro la "Madonna con il Bambino e santi", tavola del primo cinquecento senese probabilmente l'antica "Madonna del Forcone" che si venerava in un'edicola posta dove sorse poi la chiesa.. L'interno si presenta assai piacevole per l'omogeneità dell'arredo e della decorazione pittorica dovuta a Giuseppe Nicola e Apollonio Nasini."
From: (visit link)


"Fino al 1683 la contrada del Nicchio si riuniva presso i locali della Compagnia laicale di Santo Stefano. Avendo però maturato con la compagnia difficili rapporti di coesistenza, i nicchiaioli sentirono l'esigenza di costruire a loro spese un oratorio di loro proprietà. Acquistarono quindi, nel sito in cui oggi sorge l'oratorio, una casa dai padri del Carmine ed un'altra delle monache domenicane di Vita Eterna, ottenendo anche il permesso dal comune di utilizzare spazi della strada. L'oratorio, sorto in seguito alla demolizione delle case preesistenti, venne intitolato al vincentino San Gaetano di Thiene, da poco canonizzato.
L'oratorio fu edificato tra il 1683 e il 1705 dalla Contrada. Nel 1699 fu terminato l'interno ed iniziata la facciata terminata proprio nel 1705. La semplice ma elegante facciata in mattoni ed intonaco è a due ordini scanditi da lesene con mattoni a vista. Il portale, anch'esso incorniciato con mattoni a vista, è sormontato da una grande nicchia in stucco con al centro la Madonna col Bambino e santi, tavola del primo cinquecento senese probabilmente l'antica Madonna del Forcone che si venerava in un'edicola posta dove sorse poi la chiesa. La finestra posta nel secondo ordine della facciata, anch'essa incorniciata da mattoni a vista, è invece sormontata da un timpano barocco. L'interno si presenta assai piacevole per l'omogeneità dell'arredo e della decorazione pittorica dovuta a Giuseppe Nicola e Apollonio Nasini. Sull'altare maggiore è posta la statua lignea di San Gaetano, intagliata in Val Gardena e decorata dal pittore senese Aldo Marzi (1957)."
From: (visit link)

[EN]
"The oratory of the Noble Contrada of the Shell was built between 1683 and 1700 The simple façade is adorned with a large niche in stucco at the center of the "Madonna and Child with Saints," the table of the early sixteenth century Sienese probably the ancient "Madonna's Pitchfork" who was worshiped in a shrine was built and placed where the church .. the interior is very nice for the homogeneity of furniture and decorative painting due to Giuseppe and Nicola Apollonio Nasini."
Translated with the help of google from: (visit link)


"Until 1683 the district for the Shell met at the premises of the Society lay of Santo Stefano. Having gained with the company, however, difficult relations of co-existence, the nicchiaioli felt the need to build a chapel at their own expense to them. Then They bought , on the site where now stands the parish church, a house by the fathers of the Carmine and another of the Dominican nuns of Eternal Life, also getting permission from the use of common spaces of the road. oratory, built after the demolition of the existing houses, was named after the Vincentino San Gaetano of Thiene, recently canonized.
The oratory was built between 1683 and 1705 by the Contrada. In 1699 the interior was completed and began its facade completed in 1705 The simple but elegant facade of brick and plaster is two orders articulated by pilasters with brick. The portal was also framed with brick, is topped by a large niche in stucco with a central Madonna and Child with Saints, table early sixteenth century Sienese probably the ancient Madonna of Pitchfork who was worshiped in a shrine mail where the church was built later. The window placed in the second order of the façade, which is also framed by brick, on the other hand is surmounted by a pediment baroque. The interior is very nice for the homogeneity of furniture and decorative painting due to Giuseppe and Nicola Apollonio Nasini. On the high altar is placed a wooden statue of San Gaetano, carved in Val Gardena and decorated by the Sienese painter Aldo Marzi (1957)."
Translated with the help of google from: (visit link)
Type of Church: Church

Status of Building: Actively in use for worship

Date of building construction: 1/1/1700

Diocese: Siena

Address/Location:
Siena, Italy


Relvant Web Site: [Web Link]

Date of organization: Not listed

Dominant Architectural Style: Not listed

Associated Shrines, Art, etc.: Not listed

Archdiocese: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
To log a visit to this waymark, you must post at least one original photo of the site, give the date and a brief description of your visit.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Roman Catholic Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.