Peak Forest Tramway Stone Arch Bridge – Buxworth, UK
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member dtrebilc
N 53° 20.152 W 001° 57.783
30U E 569047 N 5910134
Quick Description: The Peak Forest Tramway opened in 1796 to carry limestone and gritstone from nearby quarries to the canal basin at the end of the Peak Forest Canal.
Location: East Midlands, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 6/20/2014 2:52:45 PM
Waymark Code: WMKZAF
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member 8Nuts MotherGoose
Views: 2

Long Description:
The tramway used gravity to bring the trucks down from the quarries. Horses were then used to pull the empty wagons back up again. Near to the quarries there was a particularly steep section of track and at this point the wagons were connected to steel chains. The chains had a dual purpose, slowing the loaded wagons going downhill and pulling the empty wagons up the final section to the quarries.

The tramway opened before the invention of steam trains, but was so well suited to the steep gradients in the location it was only in 1925 that modern road traffic and trains caused a loss of business that forced the closure of both the tramway and the canal and they were allowed to become derelict. However in the 1960s and 1970s leisure boating became popular and many canals were renovated and re-opened for leisure purposes.

Most of the Peak Forest Canal reopened 1974 and at that time terminated at Whaley Bridge. The remainder of the canal and the basin was reopened in 1999. However a major leak from the canal needed further renovation and it didn’t fully re-open until 2003. This short section of the tramway has also been converted into a walking trail.

The tramway operated on multiple levels. The lowest levels connected directly to the canal wharves, but there were also elevated sections that took the limestone to be processed by the lime kilns.

This skewed stone bridge carries an elevated section of the tramway over a pack horse route that connected Macclesfield and Glossop and was used to transport silk made at Macclesfield. The last page of this leaflet about the tramway has an illustration showing what the bridge might have looked like when in operation.

Original Use: Railroad

Date Built: 1796

Construction: Stone

Condition: Fair

See this website for more information: [Web Link]

Date Abandoned: 1925

Bridge Status - Orphaned or Adopted.: Orphaned

Visit Instructions:
Tell of your visit and post unique photo(s).
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Orphaned Bridges
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.