York Zero Post. York Railway Station, York. UK
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Bear and Ragged
N 53° 57.501 W 001° 05.592
30U E 625107 N 5980571
Quick Description: York Zero Post. The centre of York station was the Zero Point for the measurement of ten of the North Eastern Railway's lines, including those to Beverley, Harrogate, Newcastle, Normanton and Scarborough.
Location: North East England, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 6/5/2014 9:30:49 AM
Waymark Code: WMKWYA
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Axel-F
Views: 2

Long Description:
What was the zero post?

In 1905, the North Eastern Railway set out to systematically measure each one of its rail lines, as required by law. The cast-iron quarter-mile, half-mile, three-quarter-mile and mile posts that were erected can still be seen throughout the former NER area.

The measurement of each line started at a point where a cast-iron post bearing the word "Zero" was erected.

The exact centre of York station, on the present-day platform 5, was the zero point for ten lines, which meant the zero post bore ten identifying plates. These were:

LO. LP. - Longlands Loop (down), from Longlands Junction, Northallerton, on the York and Newcastle, to the Leeds Northern line. Opened in 1901.

M.W. & B. - Market Weighton and Beverley, from Market Weighton, at the end of the York and Market Weighton line to the Hull and Scarborough line at Beverley. Opened in 1865, closed in 1965.

MIC. BR. - Micklefield Branch, from Church Fenton, on the York and North Midland line to the Leeds and Selby line at Micklefield. Opened in 1869.

R. CV. - Raskelf Curve, from Pilmoor, on the York and Newcastle line, to the Thirsk and Malton line. Opened in 1871, closed in 1959.

S. BR. - Sherburn Branch, from Sherburn Junction on the York and North Midland line, to the Leeds and Selby line. Opened in 1839.

Y. & H. - York and Harrogate, from Poppleton Junction on the York and Newcastle line, to Harrogate. Opened in 1848.

Y. & M.W. - York and Market Weighton, from Bootham Junction, on the York and Scarborough line, to Market Weighton. Opened in 1847, closed in 1965.

Y. & N. - York and Newcastle, from York to Newcastle. Opened in 1841, 1844, 1868, 1871.

Y. & N.M. - York and North Midland, from York to Normanton. Opened in 1839, 1840.

Y. & S. - York and Scarborough, from Waterworks Junction, York, to Scarborough. Opened in 1845.

Although most of these were short connecting lines, the list demonstrates the importance of the NER.

It was formed in July, 1854, when it controlled several important main lines. By taking over other companies it created a near monopoly in the region.





The North Eastern Railway's birthday was marked with a ceremony in the foyer of York Railway Station on the anniversary itself, Saturday July 31 2004.

Sir William McAlpine, chairman of the Railway Heritage Trust, unveiled a replica of the station's zero post in the presence of Janet Looker, the Lord Mayor of York. The post has since been fixed to its permanent position on the present platform five, under the footbridge. A plaque is placed above to explain its presence.

The original zero post has long since disappeared.

"We assumed it was put into storage and then it was lost," says Patrick Howat, the York author of railway books who has been working on the zero post project for the North Eastern Railway Association for three years.

"It could have been stolen, destroyed in the air raid in 1942 or melted down in the wartime drive for scrap metal.

"There are very few zero posts left in stations. I know of one in Newcastle."
Visit Instructions:
1. A closeup photo of the monument is required.
2. A 'distant' photo including the monument in the view is recommended.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest European Historic Survey Stones, Monuments and Benchmarks
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Master Mariner visited York Zero Post. York Railway Station, York. UK 9/7/2014 Master Mariner visited it