Saint John the Baptist Roman Catholic Church - Perryopolis, Pennsylvania
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member outdoorboy34
N 40° 04.729 W 079° 45.510
17T E 605853 N 4437243
Quick Description: The Saint John the Baptist Parish is located at 3332 Pittbsurgh Road (State Route 51) in Perryopolis Borough, Fayette County, Pennsylvania
Location: Pennsylvania, United States
Date Posted: 5/31/2014 7:00:01 AM
Waymark Code: WMKVAX
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member silverquill
Views: 0

Long Description:

Saint John the Baptist Roman Catholic Church - Perryopolis, Pennsylvania


On June 26, 1904, the late Father E.E. Gelhof met with a group of men from the Perryopolis area to begin the founding of the new parish of St. John the Baptist. In May 1905, the late Father J.V. Vrana was appointed as pastor of the newly formed parish, and that same year acquired property for the cemetery.

Father Vrana built a rectory and parish school in 1906, but financial problems forced the school to close in 1908. Father Vrana served as pastor of the parish community until April 1906, when the late Father Michael Tusek replaced him.

In January 1948. the parish church and school rooms were remodeled five and one-half acres of property bordering the church were purchased.

On the newly purchased land, funds were raised to build a new parochial school. The school opened in 1956 with three grades, and more were added each year after. A new convent was built in 1961.

His pastorate ended in 1962, with the late Father James Miller being appointed pastor. Father Miller served in that position until 1967 and was succeeded by the late Father Edward Curry who served until May 1974.

In May 1974, the late Father Francis Lesniowski was appointed pastor, and Msgr. Lawrence Kiniry was named assistant pastor, who instaled a campaign to raise $200,000 to build a new church then began.

A budget of $700,000 was approved to begin construction of the church and rectory on the parish grounds that was used as the school playground. Construction began in November 1975 and concluded in November 1976, with the church being dedicated November 28, 1976.

In 1994, with Diocese of Greensburg facing the prospect of closing many of its schools, and beginning plans of regionalization, and encouraging ways for parishes to share resources, St. John the Baptist School was closed.

St. John the Baptist was partnered with St. Hedwig Parish, Smock in 2008, however, St. Hedwig Parish was closed as part of this diocesan restructuring, and a Mass of Welcome and Rememberance was celebrated, June 27, 2013, at St. John the Baptist Parish by Bishop Brandt.


Mass Times
Sunday: 8:00 AM and 10:00 AM
Saturday (Anticipation): 4:30 PM
Daily Mass: Tuesday-Friday: 8:30 AM Holy Days: Vigil - ; Holy Day -

Reconciliation
Saturday: 3:30 PM and by Appointment
Type of Church: Church

Status of Building: Actively in use for worship

Date of organization: 6/26/1904

Date of building construction: 11/28/1976

Archdiocese: Philadelphia

Diocese: Diocese of Greensburg

Address/Location:
3332 Pittsburgh Road
State Route 51
Perryopolis, PA USA
15473


Relvant Web Site: [Web Link]

Dominant Architectural Style: Not listed

Associated Shrines, Art, etc.: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
To log a visit to this waymark, you must post at least one original photo of the site, give the date and a brief description of your visit.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Roman Catholic Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.