Gardekirche - Vienna, Austria
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Metro2
N 48° 11.858 E 016° 22.740
33U E 602472 N 5339185
Quick Description: This Roman Catholic church was consecrated in 1763. There is a statue of Pope John Paul the II outside the church. See WMKQAE
Location: Wien, Austria
Date Posted: 5/16/2014 9:44:29 PM
Waymark Code: WMKQGR
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Dorcadion Team
Views: 2

Long Description:
The German language Wikipedia page (translated by Google) (visit link) informs us:

"The Garde Church or Church of the Resurrection in honor of the crucified Saviour is located at Rennweg 5a in the third Vienna district highway . The classical central building with interior decoration in the form of courtly rococo ( Josephinian Baroque classicism ) is considered one of the masterpieces of architect Nicholas of Pacassi.

History
As part of the feeder of the Emperor Spitales in the former Trinity Spital am Rennweg the construction of a hospital church was adopted. The planning took place in 1754, the establishment under Pacassi withdrew 1755-1763. In 1763 the church was consecrated. The church, open on three sides, clamped on one side, has a central oval easily along almost circular domed room in a massive masonry and a chancel. In 1769, structural damage of were Jean Baptiste Brequin with the architect Nicholas Peter Mollner resolved, with roof like facade was redesigned.

1782 lifted Joseph II to the hospital and quartered the Polish (Galician), a bodyguard, later to become the bodyguard barracks has the Church ever since her name. 1803 Here the oratory of the church was converted into an apartment. 1890, the Kaiser hospital building was largely discontinued and the remainder passed with the church in 1897 at the Polish Resurrection. Since there are in the church fairs in Polish.

Together with the Gebäuderresten it was founded in 1898 by Richard Jordan and renovated to be increased and the bell tower was increased. 2001 in memory of the three Austria visits of Pope John Paul II erected a monument representing him at the side of the church door.

Affairs

The interior of the church is an oval room with approximately querovalem choir and two side rooms. The decorations in Rococo forms are white-golden held and centered on the oval dome with a lantern out. The high altarpiece Christ on the cross comes from Peter Strudel , and there are two side altars in simple marbled Retabelrahmungen. The left side altarpiece shows the Death of Saint Joseph was incurred before 1742 and with Ignaz D. Heinitz signed, the right one is probably Italian from the mid-17th century, showing St. Elizabeth. In the sacristy there is a Pieta from the 2nd half of the 17th century and a wooden crucifix from the mid-18th century."
Type of Church: Church

Status of Building: Actively in use for worship

Date of organization: 1/1/1763

Date of building construction: 1/1/1763

Dominant Architectural Style: rococo

Archdiocese: Vienna

Diocese: Vienna

Address/Location:
Rennweg 5a
Vienna, Wien Austria


Relvant Web Site: [Web Link]

Associated Shrines, Art, etc.: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
To log a visit to this waymark, you must post at least one original photo of the site, give the date and a brief description of your visit.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Roman Catholic Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Metro2 visited Gardekirche - Vienna, Austria 9/11/2013 Metro2 visited it