St. Ignatius Mission - St. Ignatius Montana
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters
N 47° 18.884 W 114° 06.206
11T E 718909 N 5244209
Quick Description: This very large and impressive Jesuit Mission, built in 1891, was sufficiently influential in the area that the town of St. Ignatius grew up around it.
Location: Montana, United States
Date Posted: 4/20/2014 7:48:36 PM
Waymark Code: WMKJB1
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Dorcadion Team
Views: 6

Long Description:
When one thinks of a mission, they generally think of a small wood frame or log church built in the wilderness to minister to the natives and the settlers. This mission is slightly different from one's preconceived notion. It is different both inside and out; inside in its cathedral like appointments and murals and outside in its sheer size.
This church, dedicated to St. Ignatius of Loyola, founder of the Society of Jesus, was built in 1891. In 1840, Fr. Peter DeSiviet came to Montana in response to the request of four separate delegations of indians, and in 1841, he established St. Mary's Mission at Stevensville.

In 1854, St. Ignatius Mission was founded to serve the religious and educational needs of the Salish and Kootenai people. Father Hoecken and his jesuit helpers built the original log cabin which still stands on the north side of this church. within 35 years the mission included a large school, a sawmill, printing press, flour mill, hospital, farm and the present church.

The renowned murals in this church were painted by Br. Joseph Carignan, S.J., the mission cook.

In 1973, this mission was declared a National Historic Site.
From the sign at the Mission

Lake County's oldest town, founded in 1854 by Jesuit Missionaries, is home of the St. Ignatius Mission. St. Ignatius had the first residence school for Indians, first hospital, first saw mill, and first flour mill in the state.

The St. Ignatius Mission is over 100 years old and a visitor's delight. This beautiful landmark was built with local materials by Indians and missionaries in 1891. The million bricks were made with local clay, the lumber was cut in nearby foothills and the striking interior murals were designed and painted by brother Joseph Carignano. The 58 frescoes and murals on the church ceiling are worthy of European cathedrals. The St. Ignatius Church is open daily to visitors.
From Inland Northwest

Many of the State of Montana files have not yet been digitized by the National Register. Therefore, National Register details are not available unless posted on mirror sites.



Type of Church: Mission

Status of Building: Actively in use for worship

Date of organization: 1/1/1854

Date of building construction: 1/1/1891

Dominant Architectural Style: Simplified, Vernacular Gothic Revival

Associated Shrines, Art, etc.: The Madonna - The Last Supper - Jesus

Diocese: Roman Catholic Diocese of Helena

Address/Location:
300 Beartrack Ave
St Ignatius, MT USA
59865


Relvant Web Site: [Web Link]

Archdiocese: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
To log a visit to this waymark, you must post at least one original photo of the site, give the date and a brief description of your visit.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Roman Catholic Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
TrekStarL visited St. Ignatius Mission - St. Ignatius Montana 6/11/2014 TrekStarL visited it
RETIKON visited St. Ignatius Mission - St. Ignatius Montana 6/11/2014 RETIKON visited it

View all visits/logs