Buttrum's Mill - Woodbridge, Suffolk
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 52° 05.733 E 001° 18.271
31U E 383856 N 5773021
Quick Description: Buttrum's Mill or Trott's Mill is a Grade II listed tower mill at Woodbridge, Suffolk, England which has been restored to working order.
Location: Eastern England, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 3/30/2014 12:10:19 PM
Waymark Code: WMKE9T
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member montythemule
Views: 3

Long Description:
"Buttrum's Mill is a six storey tower mill with an ogee cap with a gallery. The tower is 20 feet 6 inches (6.25 m) diameter internally at the base and 11 feet (3.35 m) diameter at curb level. It is 48 feet (14.63 m) high to the curb. The brickwork is 23 inches (580 mm) thick at the base. The mill stands 61 feet (18.59 m) to the finial, the tallest surviving mill in Suffolk. The cap is winded by a six bladed fantail. The four Patent sails of 70 feet (21.34 m) span are carried on a cast iron windshaft as is the cast iron brake wheel with wooden cogs. This drives a cast iron wallower carried on the cast iron upright shaft. The wallower can be disengaged from the brake wheek to allow the mill to be driven by auxiliary power. Lower down the upright shaft a cast iron crown wheel drives auxiliary machinery via layshafts. The cast iron great spur wheel drives four pairs of 4 feet (1.22 m) diameter overdrift millstones. Two of the four pairs of millstones are controlled by a single governor. The mill is unusual in having a speaking tube connecting the floors. One of the pairs of sails is shorter than the other pair.

Buttrum's Mill was built in 1836 by John Whitmore, the Wickham Market millwright, replacing an earlier post mill. The mill was run for many years by the Trott family, for whom it was built, and later by the Buttrum family.

It worked by wind until 11 October 1928. The shutters were removed from the sails in 1934 and stored in the mill. The mill was bought at auction in 1937 by Mr Kenney, a mill enthusiast. The fantail was blown off in the 1940s, damaging the cap. A lease on the mill was granted to East Suffolk County Council in 1950. The council aimed to preserve an example of each main type of windmill. The derelict mill was restored from 1952 by Thomas Smithdale and Sons, the Acle, Norfolk millwrights for East Suffolk County Council. The work, costing £4,000 was completed in 1954. It was part funded by the Pilgrim Trust. The wrought iron gallery round the cap was replaced with a wooden one. A new cap and fantail was built. The fantail was damaged in a gale in December 1966 and in 1973 a new stock and sail were fitted. In the late 1970s, further restoration work was carried out by Millwrights International Ltd. A new cap was craned onto the mill in 1982 and new sails were fitted in 1984.

Buttrum's Mill is open between 14:00 and 17:30 over Easter, and Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holiday from May to September. It is open from 11:00 to 17:00 on National Mills Weekend."

SOURCE - (visit link)
Date of Manufacture: 1/1/1836

Purpose: Milling

Open to the public: yes

Is This Windmill Functional?: Yes!

Museum on Site: no

Windmill Farm: Not Listed

Cost: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
When logging a VISIT to a windmill that has been Waymarked, please take a a photograph of the Windmill and provide a summary of your visit. In this way we can track changes to the mills over the years
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Windmills
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
CEO44 visited Buttrum's Mill - Woodbridge, Suffolk 9/4/2014 CEO44 visited it