Palazzo di Parte Guelfa - Florence, Îtaly
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member razalas
N 43° 46.178 E 011° 15.210
32T E 681372 N 4848755
Quick Description: The Palazzo di Parte Guelfa (also called Palagio di Parte Guelfa) is a historical building in Florence, it was damaged by German bombs in August 1944 and subsequently restored.
Location: Toscana, Italy
Date Posted: 2/28/2014 8:32:00 AM
Waymark Code: WMK8FW
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member Ištván
Views: 3

Long Description:
"According to Giovanni Villani's Cronica, in 1267 the Florentine Guelph party did not own a seat, and held its meeting in the church of Santa Maria sopra la Porta. In the early 14th century, a first building was erected near the church, to which, in the following century, a further construction on the modern Via delle Terme and a larger one at the corner with via di Capaccio were added (the latter would house the meeting hall). According to some sources, Filippo Brunelleschi was involved in the design of the hall at the first floor.[1]
The construction, halted during the war with Lucca and Milan, was restarted probably from the 1430s onward. Around 1452 Maso di Bartolomeo completed the decoration of Brunelleschi's hall. In the 16th century Giorgio Vasari added to it a coffered ceiling, as well as building a new staircase and other sections. In 1921, the whole complex underwent an extensive renovation in neo-medieval style. The façade fresco by Gherardo Starnina and Giotto's paintings in the interior were already lost at the time. Remaining artworks include a lunette by Luca della Robbia (above the façade portal), taken from the demolished church of San Pier Buonconsigio, a small loggia by Vasari and a House of Medici crest sculpted by Giambologna.
It was again damaged during World War II and then restored. It currently houses meetings and conventions, cultural exhibitions, and is the seat of the organization of Calcio storico fiorentino and of the historical re-enactments of the Florentine Republic."
From: (visit link)

"Dating back to the early fourteenth century and enlarged in two successive stages during the 1400s, presumably with works attributed to Brunelleschi, the palace of the Guelph Florence was born as the site of one of the most important courts of the Middle Ages fiorentino. From the mid-sixteenth century, beginning with the intervention of Vasari, the factory has undergone many transformations, which change carono the original conformation. It was only in early 1900 that the building what survived the demolitions related to the rehabilitation of the center of Florence, was the star of major restoration work, reliable data to Alfredo Lensi, which helped to give the palace its present state. The Palace, again damaged by German mines in August 1944 and subsequently restored, is now one of the most representative building of the historical center of Florence."
Translated From: (visit link)
Related Website: [Web Link]

Supplementary Related Website: [Web Link]

Admission Fee: Not listed

Opening Days/Times: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Posting a picture(s) of the location would be nice although not required.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest World War II Sites
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.