Given Owens House - U.S. Civil War - Campbell, Missouri
Posted by: Groundspeak Charter Member BruceS
N 36° 30.359 W 090° 05.901
15S E 759870 N 4043988
Quick Description: Historic house with an interesting past with many roles during its history including serving as a Confederate field hospital in rural area northwest of Campbell, Missouri.
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 8/11/2013 7:46:04 AM
Waymark Code: WMHT2H
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Outspoken1
Views: 1

Long Description:

"The Given Owens House was built in 1860 by Leander J. Taylor a local merchant and sheriff in what was then called "Possum Trot" Missouri. It is of Louisiana Tidewater Architectural styling and constructed of native Cyprus and poplar lumber. The former shake-shingle saddle-back roof is at present covered with asphalt shingles...

The Given Owens House and adjacent barn are all that remain of the town of Four-Mile, Missouri. The house is of the Louisiana-Tidewater architectural style and county records refer to it as "the most imposing house in the district." The architectural style of the house clearly demonstrates the cultural background of its builder, Leander J. Taylor, and the early residents of Four-Mile (formerly Possum Trot), Missouri, as originating in the southeastern United States. The areas economic ties also were with the south of the Mississippi Valley. Trade in the area was linked closer to Memphis, and New Orleans than St. Louis. Although slavery was not widely practiced in the Ridges Country in the Bootheel the area was sympathetic to the Confederacy during the Civil War.

The builder, Leander J. Taylor, was a prominent businessman and sheriff in Four-Mile and played a significant role in the early growth of the town. It was. due. in part, to his efforts that Four-Mile became a way-stop on a stage-coach Line and thus gained a post office which was established in the house. Under Taylor's ownership the house served as a post office and hotel for travelers on the Old Military Road which ran between Cape Girardeau, Missouri and Jonesboro, Arkansas prior to the Civil War.

At the outbreak of the Civil War Taylor formed a company of the Secessionist Missouri State Guard with the house being used as the local headquarters. In May of 1863 the house was used as a field hospital by Confederate Troops who were entrenched around the town in an attempt to hold off Union generals McNiel and Van Derventer from crossing the St. Francios River at Chalks Bluff. For two days (May 1 and 2) Confederate Generals Marmaduke and Price held off the Union advances while constructing a bridge across the river. After crossing the river and destroying the bridge the Confederates retreated into Arkansas leaving the Union Army encamped at Four-Mile.

In 1865 Dr. Given Owens purchased the house from Leander J. Taylor and set up his residence and medical practice in the house. Dr. Owens also served . as a judge of Dunklin County in Probate and Common Pleas Court. During his stay at Four-Mile the house continued to function as the community's post office.

In 1876 Dr. Owens became a business partner with Louis McCutchen. The house took on another role as that of a general merchandizing store until 1882.

Dr. Louis McCutchen married Dr. Owens' daughter in 1877 and eventually moved his business to Campbell, Missouri after the railroad passed Four-Mile in lieu of a less elevated area.

As Campbell grew Four-Mile declined.. But the Given Owens' Home still remains a land mark and a memorial of the early pioneers and the Civil War activity in northwest Dunklin County." - Historic District Nomination

The house is in good condition and is a private residence.

Address:
Off MO 53 on County Road 225a Campbell, Missouri


Name of War: U.S. Civil War

Type of Documentation: Web Page/Historical Documentation

Visit Instructions:
Take an original pic and write something interesting.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Field Hospitals
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.