Robson Community Memorial Church, Robson, BC
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters
N 49° 19.990 W 117° 41.536
11U E 449704 N 5464724
Quick Description: This one time Baptist, one time Anglican Church is in what used to be the town of Robson at 2953 Waldie Ave. Robson is now part of the City of Castlegar. The church will be 106 years old this year, 2013.
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Date Posted: 6/21/2013 1:14:08 PM
Waymark Code: WMHBVH
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member lumbricus
Views: 1

Long Description:
This painting of Robson Community Memorial Church was done in 2011 by Tea Preville, a Nelson resident whose body of work has become quite large. She is an artist of eclectic output and eclectic media, this one an oil on canvas, from her online gallery of churches in Castlegar, Robson, Brilliant & area.

Robson Community Memorial Church, Robson, BC by Tea Preville

The photo was taken June 20th, 2013 at 4:32 P.M. Painting and photo are done/taken from the small parking lot in front of the church, to the south.

Robson Community Memorial Church, Robson, BC Photo

Built in 1907, the community church has hosted many church services, weddings, funerals meetings, and celebrations through the years. The building was beginning to show its age and the Robson Community Memorial Church Society recently oversaw a major renovation, which included a new addition to the rear of the church. The addition nearly doubled the size of the church, adding washrooms and a kitchen and dining room. The renovation was accomplished through volunteer labour and donations.

The church reopened for services on December 8, 2012. Services are now held every Saturday morning at 10 a.m., with coffee/tea and muffins being offered one half hour before services. After services there is a pot luck event at 12:30 p.m.

Apparently, this church was built as the Baptist Mission Church in 1907, or possibly 1908. In 1913 it became affiliated with the Anglican Church of Canada in the Anglican Diocese of Kootenay. It was, for a time, operated as a sub-parish of the Parish of St. David in Castlegar. It has no affiliation at present.

To the rear is the church's cemetery. In it, besides many of the community's pioneers, are two plaques placed in memory of the occupants of two cemeteries, those of Deer Park and Renata, which were flooded with the construction of Hugh Keenleyside dam and the consequent formation of Arrow Lakes in 1965.

Website of painting. Exact URL of painting is required: [Web Link]

Artist: Tea Preville

Date of Painting: 1/1/2011

Date of Your Photograph: 6/20/2013

Medium of Painting: oil on canvas

Visit Instructions:
Describe your visit, including the date, with as much detail as possible, and contribute at least one photo, original, different from those already in the gallery, if possible.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Paintings Then and Now
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
BK-Hunters visited Robson Community Memorial Church, Robson, BC 3/13/2014 BK-Hunters visited it