National Cemetery - Fort Leavenworth, Ks.
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
N 39° 21.084 W 094° 55.774
15S E 333738 N 4357548
Quick Description: The Fort Leavenworth Cemetery is at the junction of !0th Cavalry Ave and Hancock Ave. It is the burial place of America's Finest.
Location: Kansas, United States
Date Posted: 6/16/2013 5:00:33 PM
Waymark Code: WMHAR7
Published By: Groundspeak Charter Member BruceS
Views: 2

Long Description:
Pgs. 242-243 --Kansas: A Guide to the Sunflower State, 1939

The NATIONAL CEMETERY (open 9-4), opposite entrance to the golf course on Biddle Boulevard, is surrounded by a stone wall and contains hundreds of neatly alighned stone markers over the graves of soldiers who fought in the War of 1812, the Indian Campaigns and the Mexican, Civil, Spanish, Philippine, and world Wars. Gen. Henry H. Leavenworth, the fort’s founder, is buried here. He died July 21, 1834, while leading an expedition against the pawnee four days before orders were issued promoting him to the rank of brigadier general. He was buried at Delhi, N.Y. In 1901 his body was returned to Fort Leavenworth. A massive granite shaft unveiled on Memorial Day, may 30, 1902, bears an inscription to his memory. This tract was set aside for a cemetery in 1860 and bodies from two older burial sites at the fort were reinterred here, some without identification. They included soldiers and civilians who had died in the vicinity of the fort and other brought in from the plains along the Santa Fe Trail. Among the known dead are five officers of the Seventh Cavalry, who died in the battle of the Little Big Horn; Prvt. John Urquhart, one of the “hot heads” of Charleston, S.C., who fired the volley on Fort Sumter; and six Confederates mortally wounded in the battle of Westport. A monument marking the grave of Col. Edward Hatch list 54 battles in which he was engaged.

From the National Register application:
(visit link)

The Fort Leavenworth National Cemetery is located within the Fort Leavenworth military reservation approximately three miles from the city of Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, and one mile west of the Missouri River, in Leavenworth County. The 36.1-acre site is a trapezium on gently sloping land. Hancock Avenue provides the major interior circulation, and the burial sections are of unequal sizes. The original gates to the cemetery were located near the utility building. The square brick pillars on stone bases topped by stone caps, still remain. The main entrance to the cemetery is now located along Biddle Boulevard on the east side of the cemetery. A square brick pillar is situated on each side of the entrance, and plaques identifying the cemetery are affixed to these pillars. The flagpole is located just to the south of the main entrance in the northwest corner of Section B of the cemetery. According to an inspector's report dated August 16, 1869, the original cemetery (Sections A-F) was enclosed by a paling fence with mulberry posts and gate, whitewashed. This area was later enclosed by a stone wall, 4 feet high and 18 inches wide. Only 798 feet of this wall remains, extending from the southeastern corner of the cemetery to the service entrance along the southern boundary. A
rostrum was located outside the original stone wall enclosure in an area to the northeast of the cemetery proper. At approximately the center of the cemetery is the lodge and service building complex. A committal service shelter is located along the roadway in Section Q in the northwest area of the cemetery.

Graves were originally marked by head and foot boards or stakes, which were later replaced with upright marble headstones. The dates of the replacements are unknown. Some graves in the officers portion of Section A are marked with private markers. As of January 31, 1999, there were 18,630 sites used for the interment of 21,210 casketed remains and 448 sites used for the interment of 617 cremated remains. As of January 31, 1999, there were 390 gravesites available (389 reserved) for the interment of casketed remains and 1,220 sites available for the interment of cremated remains. The cemetery has been closed for casketed interments since 1982, and it is estimated that it will remain open until 2030+ for the interment of cremated remains.
Book: Kansas

Page Number(s) of Excerpt: 242-243

Year Originally Published: 1939

Visit Instructions:
To log a Visit, please supply an original image of the Waymark.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest American Guide Series
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Benchmark Blasterz visited National Cemetery - Fort Leavenworth, Ks. 7/29/2013 Benchmark Blasterz visited it