Church of St. Hedwig / Kostel svaté Hedviky - Opava (North Moravia)
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Dorcadion Team
N 49° 56.482 E 017° 53.555
33U E 707539 N 5536123
Quick Description: Filial Church of St. Hedwig (Kostel svaté Hedviky), administered by Roman Catholic parish of Virgin Mary in Opava, is thanks to its unusual modern architecture with cubistic features one of the most original churches in the region...
Location: Moravskoslezský kraj, Czechia
Date Posted: 6/10/2013 5:52:16 AM
Waymark Code: WMH98R
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member lumbricus
Views: 31

Long Description:

Filial Church of St. Hedwig (Kostel svaté Hedviky), administered by Roman Catholic parish of Virgin Mary in Opava, is thanks to its unusual modern architecture with cubistic features one of the most original churches in the region.

In 1894 father Johann Eichler, professor at Opava High Real School, donated 5 000 guldens to build a church in honour of St. Hedwig - the patron saint of the Silesia. On 15 August 1933 the foundation stone was laid outside the original town walls in the place of an old burial site. The church that attracts attention with its cubist tower according to the design of a Viennese architect Leopold Bauer was under construction till 1938. The interior which was quite extraordinary for its time is equipped with frescos by Paul Gebauer, sculptural works by Helena Železná-Scholzová and an altar by Adolf Zdražil. There wasn't time to consecrate the church before the WWII started. After the German occupation of Opava in 1938, the church turned into a powder storehouse, its tower was used as a lookout. After the war the church was used as a storehouse. In 1993 the church was consecrated and 6 years later, in 1999 it was at last completed - a replica of the concrete cross that was destroyed during the WWII was lifted on the top of the tower.

Type of Church: Church

Status of Building: Actively in use for worship

Date of building construction: 7/30/1937

Dominant Architectural Style: Cubism

Archdiocese: Olomouc

Diocese: Ostrava - Opava

Address/Location:
Kostel svaté Hedviky
Náměstí svaté Hedviky
Opava, Czech Republic
746 01


Relvant Web Site: [Web Link]

Date of organization: Not listed

Associated Shrines, Art, etc.: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
To log a visit to this waymark, you must post at least one original photo of the site, give the date and a brief description of your visit.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Roman Catholic Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Bella visited Church of St. Hedwig / Kostel svaté Hedviky - Opava (North Moravia) 11/16/2014 Bella visited it
JunJunCZ visited Church of St. Hedwig / Kostel svaté Hedviky - Opava (North Moravia) 10/29/2013 JunJunCZ visited it

View all visits/logs