Benchmark, All Saints, Hoby, Leicestershire
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 52° 44.983 W 001° 00.588
30U E 634326 N 5846286
Quick Description: Cut mark on corner of wall of church, in the small village of Hoby, Leicestershire. Near Melton Mowbray
Location: East Midlands, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 5/26/2013 12:48:07 PM
Waymark Code: WMH5JB
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Dragontree
Views: 2

Long Description:
Hoby Parish Church was built in the troubled years that followed the death of King John 1216 – the bases of the pillars in the nave suggest that it was built on that of an older church.
The Nave and Clerestory
The nave is original, although the westernmost piers have been restored. The clerestory was added in the 14th century. The ‘poppy’ headed benches, now in the aisles, are 15th century. The font appears to be 13th century, though it has been remounted on a 16th century tombstone. The roof is modern, as are the benches in the nave.
The Aisles
The south aisle was designed as a chantry for the Villiers family and dates from the 14th century. It contains a piscina and a double sedilla for the use of the parish and chantry priests. The stone altar was moved here from the chancel in 1862 and now rests on 13th century supports, mounted on a 16th Century tombstone. The stone coffin lid may well be older than the church. The defaced 15th century brass is probably that of Sir John Villiers and his wife Anne, nee Digby. He and his wife were resident in Hoby.
The Chancel
The chancel was extended and rebuilt in the 19th century. The Pre-reformation stone altar top was restored to its original position in 1862, having been rescued from the floor of the nave. The altar rail is made from the upper rail of the old rood screen. All the other woodwork in the chancel is modern. The reconstructed window in the south wall is 14th century.
The Tower.
The Tower dates from the 13th century, the parapet spire being added later. There is a peal of five bells of which the oldest was cast c. l600. The tenor bell, recast in 1895, is known as ‘Great Tom’. In the late 17th century Dorothy and Susannah Danvers, attempting to make their way home from Thrussington, became lost in the fog. They were able to find their way to safety on hearing Great Tom. Dorothy later married Lancelot Addison, Dean of Lichfield and, after his death, she left a sum of money to Hoby for the regular ringing of the curfew. Her son was Joseph Addison the essayist. At the enclosure of Thrussington fields, in commemoration of this event and from the sisters’ fortune, a quantity of land was allotted to the Rector of Hoby and is now part of Hoby Glebe.
Access to the tower was formerly gained from inside the church. It was in this tower and in the space behind the organ that Lydia Rawson, wife of Thomas Rawson, the Rector of Hoby who was expelled by Parliamentary Commission in 1642, took refuge with her children, of whom she had an unspecified number.
In the graveyard is the stump of an old cross, believed to be older than the church. Some are of Swithland slate and are very finely engraved. This peaceful village has seen conflict, as is evident by the destruction of the old altar, the breaking of the cross, the loss of all its ancient stained glass which a visitor in 1625 described as particularly fine, and not least by the trials of Lydia Rawson.
In its serenity after storm it is typical of English country churches..

Had a nice chat with the gardener. Be warned, this benchmark may feature in a local pub quiz sometime soon!

(visit link)
Type of Trigpoint: Cut Bench Mark

Condition: Good

Number on Flush Bracket: N/A

Visit Instructions:
A photo should be taken when you visit, and added to the log.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest U.K. and Ireland Trigpoints
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.