Chillicothe Business College - Chillicohe, Missouri
Posted by: Groundspeak Charter Member BruceS
N 39° 47.916 W 093° 33.428
15S E 452303 N 4405552
Quick Description: Site of former Chillicothe Business College which had a long history in Chillicothe, Missouri.
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 5/5/2013 10:16:25 PM
Waymark Code: WMH1A7
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member Math Teacher
Views: 1

Long Description:
CHILLICOTHE BUSINESS COLLEGE, 1220 Monroe St., established in 1890 by Allen Moore, is the largest business college in America. On the 2O-acre campus is COMMERCE HALL, a 2-story red-brick building which houses a model banking department, operated on the scale of the average small-town bank. TELEGRAPH BUILDING, a remodeled three-story structure with a mansard roof, has classrooms for students of commercial and railroad telegraphic communication. Fully equipped offices are used in teaching business subjects.. - Missouri: A Guide to the "Show Me State", Tour 9 , pg. 477

Chillicothe Business College closed in 1952 after operating for 62 years.  The buildings associated with the college have been demolished and the lot is vacant.  A large stone historical marker is located on the site giving a history of the college.

Text of marker:

This Is The Original Site Of
CBC
1890 to 1952 


Allen Moore, Sr. founded the Chillicothe Normal School and Business Institute in 1890.  His desire to locate in Chillicothe was due to the progressive spirit he saw in the Citizens of the town.

This city agreed to purchase the site and construct the academic building at a cost of $25,000.  Mr. Moore built the first dormitory over 600 student attended the first year.

Upon the death of Allen Moore Sr in 1907 Allen Moore Jr became president and his brother Roy Moore vice president.  The enrollment grew each year with a desire by students for more business subjects including bookkeeping, stenography, telegraphy and penmanship.  In 1910, the name was appropriately changed to Chillicothe Business College.  C.B.C. became known as the largest school in America devoted exclusively to business education.

During the next forty-two years of growth additional classrooms, dining hall, dormitories, gymnasium and football stadium were added to the campus.  Activities included band and orchestra along with complete athletic program of football, basketball and track.

During World War II and the Korean War, C.B.C. joined the effort by training supply clerks for the U.S. Army Air Corps.

Upon the death of Allen Moore Jr in 1945 Allen Moore III became president and Ralph Moore vice president.  They operated C.B.C. successfully until 1952 at which time they made the difficult decision to close the college due to the courses being offered by high schools, technology and the economics of the times.  Over 120,000 students cold be claimed as alumni during the sixty-two years of its existence.

The Chillicothe Business College was a fine addition to Chillicothe not only economically but it also created identity for the town, across the nation including Alaska to Chillicothe Mo.

Erected by the Chillicothe Rotary and Mervyn W. Jenkins Foundation

Book: Missouri

Page Number(s) of Excerpt: 477

Year Originally Published: 1941

Visit Instructions:
To log a Visit, please supply an original image of the Waymark.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest American Guide Series
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.