Liebfrauenkirche - Bielefeld, Germany
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member kittyposse
N 52° 00.762 E 008° 33.151
32U E 469288 N 5762545
Quick Description: Liebfrauenkirche is a Roman Catholic church on the east side of Bielefeld.
Location: Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
Date Posted: 3/6/2013 12:34:40 PM
Waymark Code: WMGH5F
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member lumbricus
Views: 2

Long Description:
EN
Since the days of Reformation, Bielefeld had been a predominantly Protestant town and there was only one Catholic church, St. Jodokus, in the old town. However, with the onset of industrial revolution in the 19th century, things changed and the Bielefeld factories attracted workforce from all over the country, resulting in a confessional mix and a growing proportion of Roman Catholics in the population. Consequently, in the 20th century more Catholic parishes were established, one of them being Liebfrauen on Bielefeld's east side. The cornerstone of the new church was laid on 7 October 1933, the building was completed in 1934 and consecrated by Paderborn archbishop Dr. Caspar Klein on 19 September 1936. Initially there was no spire and the twin towers were added only in 1963. There is a clock on each of them, a conventional one for time of day on the western and a rather exceptional one displaying the lunar phase on the eastern tower. Above the entrance door there are two bronze figures of the Holy Virgin and Archangel Gabriel representing the scene of the Annunciation, and in the garden east of the church is a pilgrim cross from Santiago de Compostela, Spain.
Sources: Kirchengemeinde, Wikipedia

DE
Bielefeld war seit der Reformation eine überwiegend protestantische Stadt und für die kleine katholische Minderheit genügte jahrhundertelang die St. Jodokuskirche in der Altstadt. Dies begann sich mit der industriellen Revolution im 19. Jahrhundert zu ändern, als die Bielefelder Fabriken Arbeitskräfte aus allen Teilen des Landes anzogen, was zu einer zunehmenden konfessionellen Durchmischung und einem höheren katholischen Bevölkerungsanteil führte. So entstanden im 20. Jahrhundert mehrere neue katholische Kirchengemeinden, darunter auch die Liebfrauengemeinde im Bielefelder Osten. Die Grundsteinlegung der neuen Kirche erfolgte am 7. Oktober 1933, ein Jahr später war das Gebäude vollendet und am 19 September 1936 wurde es vom Paderborner Erzbischof Dr. Caspar Klein feierlich eingeweiht. Ursprünglich war die Kirche turmlos erbaut worden und die beiden Zwillingstürme wurden erst 1963 ergänzt. An jedem von ihnen befindet sich eine Uhr, eine konventionelle für die Tageszeit am westlichen und eine recht außergewöhnliche für die Mondphasen am östlichen Turm. Über dem Eingangsportal befinden sich links und rechts zwei Bronzefiguren der Heiligen Jungfrau und des Erzengels Gabriel, die die Verkündigungsszene darstellen, und im Gartengelände auf der Ostseite der Kirche steht ein Pilgerkreuz aus dem spanischen Santiago de Compostela.
Quellen: Kirchengemeinde, Wikipedia
Type of Church: Church

Status of Building: Actively in use for worship

Date of organization: 9/19/1936

Date of building construction: 10/7/1933

Dominant Architectural Style: Nondescript mid-20th century

Associated Shrines, Art, etc.: Bronze figures of the scene of the Annunciation, pilgrim cross from Santiago de Compostela

Archdiocese: Paderborn

Diocese: Paderborn

Address/Location:
Fritz-Reuter-Strasse 5
Bielefeld, NRW Germany
D-33604


Relvant Web Site: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
To log a visit to this waymark, you must post at least one original photo of the site, give the date and a brief description of your visit.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Roman Catholic Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.