Government House - Edmonton, Alberta
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters
N 53° 32.496 W 113° 32.623
12U E 331450 N 5935531
Quick Description: Government House is to be found at 12845 - 102 Avenue in Edmonton, directly south of the Royal Alberta Museum.
Location: Alberta, Canada
Date Posted: 2/10/2013 6:21:03 PM
Waymark Code: WMGBNR
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member wildwoodke
Views: 5

Long Description:
From 1913 to 1938 this building was the official residence for the Lieutenant Governors of Alberta. On the grounds of the Royal Alberta Museum, the house overlooks the North Saskatchewan River to the south.

It is a large three-storey sandstone mansion with formal gardens, a chauffeur's house and a greenhouse. Completed in 1913, the building was the residence of the first six Lieutenant Governors: George H.V. Bulyea, Robert G. Brett, William Egbert, William L. Walsh, Philip C.H. Primrose, and John C. Bowen.

Government House was designated a Provincial Historic Resource on June 7th, 1985. The heritage significance of this building is enhanced by the fact that it was designed by Richard Blakey, who was the principal architect for Alberta Public Works from 1912 to 1923. This was very likely his first commission in this position.

"Government House is also significant for its architectural craftsmanship and construction. It was the most costly, most luxurious residence built in Edmonton to that point, and its eclectic design incorporated at least three architectural trends that were popular at the time of its construction. The exterior follows the Beaux Arts movement in borrowing from historic precedents, in this case features of the Jacobean Revival style such as prominent projections, parapet gable walls and wall dormers, bay windows, battlements and oculus openings. The exterior porches and more delicate interior details speak to the Edwardian Classical Revival style, and an Arts and Crafts influence is evident in the simplified fireplace surrounds, wainscoting, and built-in furnishings and mouldings. Like the Provincial Legislature, the imposing size and ornamental detail of Government House was designed to reflect Alberta's new provincial status. The architect was R.P. Blakey, who as the principal architect for Alberta Public Works from 1912- 1923 was responsible for many prominent public buildings. Blakey also designed the chauffeur's residence, which complements Government House's English revival design in its Tudor Revival architecture, most prominently expressed in the building's decorative timber-framing with stucco infilling."
Source: Alberta Culture and Community Services

Alberta Register of Historic Places - Government House Webpage: (visit link)
Type of Marker: Cultural

Sign Age: Historic Site or Building Marker

Parking: Parking is available on the grounds

Placement agency: Government of Alberta

Visit Instructions:
When entering a new log for visiting a waymark please provide a picture of your visit to the location and if you have an interesting alternate area or sign photo include that.

Please include any thoughts or historic information about the area that the marker may represent.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Alberta Heritage Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
BK-Hunters visited Government House - Edmonton, Alberta 1/11/2014 BK-Hunters visited it