First Church of Otago (Presbyterian) - Dunedin, New Zealand
Posted by: Groundspeak Charter Member BruceS
S 45° 52.547 E 170° 30.282
59G E 461562 N 4919634
Quick Description: Historic Presbyterian Church in Dunedin, New Zealand.
Location: South Island, New Zealand
Date Posted: 2/2/2013 4:05:44 PM
Waymark Code: WMG9KV
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member lumbricus
Views: 3

Long Description:
The founding of the First Church dates to the founding of Dunedin in 1848 predominantly by Free Church settlers from Scotland. The location of the church was selected during the initial layout of the community. The church initially had a wood building constructed. By 1857 sufficient money had been raised by the congregation to build a building of more permanent materials but it was not until 1862 when a competition was held for a design for the church. The design was completed by R. A. Lawson, a young Australian architect. The construction of the church was further delayed when the Provincial Council decided reduce the height of Bell Hill the location of the church as it had proved to be too steep and was impediment to the business development for the growing community. The hill was reduced by some 12 meters thus providing more space for business development. The hill reduction took such a long time the Provincial Council financed the construction of a new wood church in 1864 which served the congregation until 1873.

Construction of First Church was begun in 1867 and completed in 1875. The church designed by Lawson in in a decorated Gothic style. The building was constructed with brick and faced with Oamaru stone. The dominate feature of the church is the spire which measures 54 metres (177 ft) in height. Just prior to the church opening in 1873 Lawson determined the spire was 15 feet short of its design and had a slight lean. The spire was dismantled and built to specifications and was completed in 1875. Another feature of the church are the interior and exterior carvings by Louis John Godfrey. The church also features a beautiful stained glass rose window.

The church was expanded in 1879 with the addition of the gallery which provided an additional 170 seats. The church continues to serve its congregation and is a dominate landmark in Dunedin.

The church is a Category I building on the New Zealand Heritage Trust Register.
Date the Church was built, dedicated or cornerstone laid: 1/1/1875

Age of Church building determined by?: Historical Society

If denomination of Church is not part of the name, please provide it here: Presbyterian

If Church holds a weekly worship service and "all are welcome", please give the day of the week: Sunday

Indicate the time that the primary worship service is held. List only one: 10:00 AM

Street address of Church:
410 Moray Place
Dunedin, New Zealand


Primary website for Church or Historic Church Building: [Web Link]

Secondary Website for Church or Historic Church Building: [Web Link]

If Church is open to the public, please indicate hours: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
1) A photo of the church is required for visits to a waymark.

2) Please share some comments about your visit.

3) Additional photos are encouraged. If you can have information in addition to that already provided about this church, please share it with us.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest This Old Church
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
AdventureTharon visited First Church of Otago (Presbyterian) - Dunedin, New Zealand 6/12/2014 AdventureTharon visited it
fantailcottage visited First Church of Otago (Presbyterian) - Dunedin, New Zealand 8/18/2013 fantailcottage visited it
Punga and Paua visited First Church of Otago (Presbyterian) - Dunedin, New Zealand 2/3/2013 Punga and Paua visited it

View all visits/logs