Tribune-Monitor Building - Fort Scott Downtown Historic District - Fort Scott, Ks.
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
N 37° 50.509 W 094° 42.432
15S E 349785 N 4189637
Quick Description: This is a two story red brick building located at 6 East Wall in Fort Scott, Kansas.
Location: Kansas, United States
Date Posted: 12/31/2012 6:48:40 PM
Waymark Code: WMG18V
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member silverquill
Views: 0

Long Description:
From the National Register application:
(visit link)

"ca. 1925, Classical Revival style. Inventory: 01 1-1 830-00098 Status: contributing.

Description: This is a rectangular two-story brick commercial building with a flat roof and parapet. The main north facade (facing Wall Street) has a nine-bay front. The long west facade (facing National Avenue) has fourteen bays with a side entrance and another storefront on the southwest. The eastern half of the building has a recessed side entrance with a non-historic metal entrance door and three adjacent display windows. A central entrance to the second floor and the western storefront has been filled with brick. There is a cashier's window centered in the western bay. There are stone piers and bulkheads, sign panels above the storefronts, smooth-cut stone sills, flat brick lintels, and a ornamental terra cotta cornice and overhanging eave cap. Windows on the second floor have 811 double-hung sashes. Three first floor bays in the western facade have been filled with brick. There is a single metal entrance door, display windows, and paired metal entrance doors in the western facade. Windows on the second floor of the western facade have 811 wooden double-hung sashes. There is a shingled shed-roofed awning over the two entrances to southwest and five cloth awnings over windows to the north.

History: Of several Fort Scott newspapers, the union of the Tribune and Monitor was the most long-lived. On April 3, 1917, George W. Marble purchased a tract of four lots on the southeast corner of Wall and National from Mrs. Elizabeth Wilson Goodlander. This was the site of the former Goodlander Lumberyard. The building was constructed in 1925. The Tribune-Monitor had presses in the basement of the eastern part of the building with business offices on the first floor and news-writing and layout areas, conference room, and executive offices on the second floor. When the building was finished, the Kansas Utilities Company leased the National Avenue storefront for more than sixty years before renovating their building on Stanton Street and moved there.

Integrity: The building retains sufficient architectural integrity to be listed as a contributing resource."
Name of Historic District (as listed on the NRHP): Fort Scott Downtown Historic District - Fort Scott, Ks

Link to nationalregisterofhistoricplaces.com page with the Historic District: [Web Link]

NRHP Historic District Waymark (Optional): [Web Link]

Address:
6 E Wall Street Ft. Scott, Ks. 66701


How did you determine the building to be a contributing structure?: Narrative found on the internet (Link provided below)

Optional link to narrative or database: [Web Link]

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest NRHP Historic Districts - Contributing Buildings
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.