McDonald Block - Fort Scott Downtown Historic District - Fort Scott, Ks.
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
N 37° 50.509 W 094° 42.311
15S E 349963 N 4189634
Quick Description: This is a two story red brick building located at 124 East Wall in Fort Scott, Kansas.
Location: Kansas, United States
Date Posted: 12/31/2012 7:29:16 AM
Waymark Code: WMG14N
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member silverquill
Views: 0

Long Description:
From National Register Application:
(visit link)

"1867, Italianate style. Inventory: 01 1-1830-00152 Status: contributing.

Description: This is a rectangular two-story brick corner commercial building with a flat roof and parapet and a recessed central entrance. The first floor storefront has a smooth-cut stone foundation, pier blocks, capitals, and belt course surmounted with a projecting molding. There are display windows and a glazed wooden entrance door with sidelights. Three second-floor windows have 212 wooden double-hung sashes. Openings have smooth-cut stone sills surmounted with projecting pedimented hoods. The windows are set in slightly recessed brick panels with an overhead panel. The projecting brick eave is ornamented with a dentil molding. There are three separate non-historic awnings on pipe poles and another awning over the side display window.

History: According to the 1990 survey, this building was constructed in 1867. "Subscriptions to the amount of $5,300 were taken yesterday at this office [for Masonic Lodge and Odd Fellows Hall] ... building will be put up next to the brick block now in course of erection by B. P. McDonald on the corner of Wall Street and Scott Avenue" (Fort Scott Monitor 24 July 1867 and 7 August 1867). In the November, 1884 Sanborn map, the two-story brick building was recorded as a dry goods store with an address of 120 E. Wall Street. The address changed to 122 E. Wall Street in the October, 1888 Sanborn map. A grocery store occupied the building in 1893, 1899 and 1906. In the July, 1912 and October, 1917 Sanborn maps, a plumbing business occupied the building with lodging on the second floor. A store occupied the building in September, 1925. In the 1990s, the owners had the address changed to 124 E. Wall Street.

Integrity: The building retains sufficient architectural integrity to be listed as a contributing resource."
Name of Historic District (as listed on the NRHP): Fort Scott Downtown Historic District - Fort Scott, Ks

Link to nationalregisterofhistoricplaces.com page with the Historic District: [Web Link]

NRHP Historic District Waymark (Optional): [Web Link]

Address:
124 East Wall Ft Scott, Ks. 66701


How did you determine the building to be a contributing structure?: Narrative found on the internet (Link provided below)

Optional link to narrative or database: [Web Link]

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest NRHP Historic Districts - Contributing Buildings
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.