Masonic Hall - Fort Scott Downtown Historic District - Fort Scott, Ks.
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
N 37° 50.509 W 094° 42.321
15S E 349948 N 4189635
Quick Description: This is a three story red brick building located at 118 East Wall in Fort Scott, Kansas.
Location: Kansas, United States
Date Posted: 12/31/2012 7:12:07 AM
Waymark Code: WMG14G
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member silverquill
Views: 0

Long Description:
From National Register application:
(visit link)

"1867, Italianate style. Inventory: 011-1830-00151 Status: contributing.

Description: This is a rectangular three-story brick commercial building with a four-bay front. It has a flat roof and parapet. There is a recessed glazed wooden entrance door with an adjacent entrance to the second floor. There are large non-historic display windows with a non-historic awning. On the second and third floors, there are masonry openings with smooth-cut stone sills and low-arched lintels. The windows are 111 wooden double-hung sash. A large Masonic emblem is embedded between the second and third windows on the third floor. The eave is ornamented with a stone belt course and vertical paired stone inserts forming panels as raised brick dentil molding and a slightly projecting brick cornice.

History: According to the 1990 survey, this building was built to house a Masonic Hall in 1867. "Subscriptions to the amount of $5,300 were taken yesterday at this office [for Masonic Lodge and Odd Fellows Hall] ... building will be put up next to the brick block now in course of erection by B. P. McDonald on the corner of Wall Street and Scott Avenue." (Fort Scott Monitor 24 July 1867 and 7 August 1867). In 1884, this building's street address was 116 E. Wall Street. By 1888 it had been re-numbered as 118. According to the Sanborn maps this building has housed numerous businesses including a drug store (1884, 1888); the Fort Scott Monitor occupied the building with composing on the second and bookbinding on the third floor (1893); "storage and setting up barrels" (1899); a plumbing business (1906); lodge hall on third floor (1912); furniture storage and lodge hall (1917).

Integrity: The building retains sufficient architectural integrity to be listed as a contributing resource."
Name of Historic District (as listed on the NRHP): Fort Scott Downtown Historic District - Fort Scott, Ks

Link to nationalregisterofhistoricplaces.com page with the Historic District: [Web Link]

NRHP Historic District Waymark (Optional): [Web Link]

Address:
118 East Wall Ft. Scott, Ks. 66701


How did you determine the building to be a contributing structure?: Narrative found on the internet (Link provided below)

Optional link to narrative or database: [Web Link]

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest NRHP Historic Districts - Contributing Buildings
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.