LaGrange Woman's Club - LaGrange, GA
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member xptwo
N 33° 02.489 W 085° 02.373
16S E 683065 N 3657593
Quick Description: The LaGrange Woman's Club owns and meets in Bellevue, the historic home of Senator Benjamin Harvey Hill. The club has been meeting since it was organized in 1908.
Location: Georgia, United States
Date Posted: 12/11/2012 8:16:37 PM
Waymark Code: WMFXA9
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member BarbershopDru
Views: 1

Long Description:
The LaGrange Woman's Club has been active in philanthropic activities since its founding. Among its accomplishments was the establishment of a library for the community in the early 20th century.

The history of the club can be seen in this article from the archives of the Troup County Historical Society:

"The LaGrange Woman’s Club was organized in 1908 by Mrs. Sallie Boykin Cary who served the club as its first president. The club joined the Georgia Federation of Woman’s Clubs in 1909 with a goal of serving through civic, philanthropic and cultural endeavors. At that time the club divided into departments following the Georgia Federation model with divisions that included civics, community service, garden, child welfare, and fine arts or music.

The Woman’s Club has been very active in community development and other charitable activities. One of the primary purposes of the original founding was to create a public library, which was realized in 1921 when the club opened a library in their headquarters, the Heard Home, on Church Street. In 1925, the club, in conjunction with the LaGrange Rotary Club, raised $25,000 in one day to build the LaGrange Memorial Library on the site formerly occupied by the Heard Home. The name of the library honors those who fought and died in World War I. In 1942, the Callaway Community Foundation purchased “Bellevue” from the McLendon family for the club. Bellevue was built by Confederate and United States Senator Benjamin Harvey Hill in the mid 1850s. The home, which still serves as the club’s headquarters, was named a National Historic Landmark in 1976. The LaGrange Woman’s Club maintains the home as a house museum and events venue.

In addition to the club’s philanthropic efforts, the club has sponsored flower shows, antique shows, cooking schools, May Day festivities, and Fall Fashion Shows. In addition, the music division of the club has hosted musical performances featuring various artists, both local and nationally known." source: (visit link)

One of the historic markers outside of Bellevue tells the history of the house:

Bellevue, home of United States Senator Benjamin Harvey Hill (1823-1882), was built in 1854-55 and typifies the Greek Revival architecture popular in the Old South. Jefferson Davis and other Confederate celebrities were frequent guest here. At the urging of Senator Hill, lawyer, one of Georgia's foremost orators and champion of the South during Reconstruction days. President Hayes withdrew Union occupation troops. In 1942 Bellevue was presented to the LaGrange Woman's Club by the Fuller E. Callaway Foundation. It is now maintained by the Club.
Date Created: 1/1/1908

Active Club?: Yes

Website Source: [Web Link]

Secondary Website Source: [Web Link]

Address:
204 Ben Hill Street
LaGrange, GA USA
30240


Visit Instructions:
To log a visit to a waymark, provide an image of the building. A GPS or visiting waymarker does not need to be in the frame, but it helps. Please include details of the experience.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Woman's Clubs
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
kb10bo visited LaGrange Woman's Club - LaGrange, GA 6/27/2014 kb10bo visited it