Van Fossen Building - Fort Scott Downtown Historic District - Fort Scott, Ks.
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
N 37° 50.463 W 094° 42.367
15S E 349879 N 4189550
Quick Description: This is a three story red brick brown stone building located at 23 North Main in Fort Scott, Kansas.
Location: Kansas, United States
Date Posted: 12/10/2012 10:10:26 AM
Waymark Code: WMFWZN
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member Math Teacher
Views: 0

Long Description:
From the National Register Application:
(visit link)

"Van Fossen Building, 1886, 1891, ca. 1980, ltalianate style. Inventory: 01 1-1 830-00063 Status: contributing.

Description: This is a rectangular three-story brick commercial building with a flat roof and parapet. Originally a two-story building, a third floor was added in 1891. Although the first floor storefront has been altered, the second and third floors retain well-preserved ltalianate style features. There are seven bays on the upper floors. Windows are 111 double-hung wood sashes with five-light transoms. Masonry openings on the second floor have flat molded lintels and openings on the third floors have filled round arches. There are triple recessed panels outlined by raised brick belt courses under the third floor windows, brick detailed pilasters, a molded brick course at the eave, and a projecting bracketed eave cornice with one end pier at the northwest. The cornice continues along the south façade eave. The south façade also has paired windows with transoms set in semicircular arched openings.

The first floor seven-bay storefront transom has been stuccoed and the display windows and entrances have been altered. There are double display windows to the north, two recessed entrances to the north storefront, display windows, a recessed entrance to the corner storefront, and a display window.

History: Built in 1886 by Van Fossen and Wilcox and expanded in 1891, this building housed a dry goods store and a china and glassware store as well as loan and real estate offices on the second floor. The Blue Lodge Masons contracted with the owners to build a third story for their meeting hall and received a lifetime lease for their meeting hall. In a photograph of Main Street (ca. 1900), Calhoun's Clothing Store has the corner storefront and J. S. Yost Hardware occupied the north half of the building. Several attorneys' offices were located on the second floor-W. R. Biddle, R. B Campbell, McClerverty & Padgett, Keen & Gates, 0. A. Cheney, and J. H. Rain. On April 18,1919, W. J. Calhoun purchased the building from Charles H. Harbison, paying $10,000 more than the building cost to build.

Integrity: The building retains sufficient architectural integrity to be listed as a contributing resource."
Name of Historic District (as listed on the NRHP): Fort Scott Downtown Historic District - Fort Scott, Ks

Link to nationalregisterofhistoricplaces.com page with the Historic District: [Web Link]

NRHP Historic District Waymark (Optional): [Web Link]

Address:
21-23 South Main Ft. Scott, Ks. 66701


How did you determine the building to be a contributing structure?: Narrative found on the internet (Link provided below)

Optional link to narrative or database: [Web Link]

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest NRHP Historic Districts - Contributing Buildings
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.