First Methodist Church -Licking River Historic District - Covington, Kentucky
Posted by: Groundspeak Charter Member BruceS
N 39° 05.171 W 084° 30.453
16S E 715577 N 4329297
Quick Description: Historic former Methodist church in Covington, Kentucky.
Location: Kentucky, United States
Date Posted: 11/3/2012 10:04:18 AM
Waymark Code: WMFMDG
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member QuesterMark
Views: 0

Long Description:
Text of historical marker:

"Congregation first used public school house ca. 1805. The first building was erected 1832, on Garrard St, then replaced by one on Scott St., 1843. Church split over slavery, 1846. M.E. Church South remained on Scott St., Union M.E. group located at Fifth and Greenup. The churches reunited, 1939. Jesse Grant, father of U.S. Grant had a pew here.

This Gothic structure erected, 1867, with Amos Shinkle liberal donor. Burned; rebuilt 1947. Pastors elected bishops: H.H. Kavanaugh, D.W. Clark, U.V.W. Darlington. Pastors 1939-79: J.L Murrell, W.A.E. Johnson, J.W. Worthington, W.P. Davis, C.A. Nunnery, A.J. Roberts, C.S. Perry, W.R. Yates, A.W. Gwinn."

The building is now used by the Grace Community Church.
Name of Historic District (as listed on the NRHP): Licking Riverside Historic District

Link to nationalregisterofhistoricplaces.com page with the Historic District: [Web Link]

Address:
Fifth and Greenup Covington, Kentucky


How did you determine the building to be a contributing structure?: Narrative found on the internet (Link provided below)

Optional link to narrative or database: [Web Link]

NRHP Historic District Waymark (Optional): Not listed

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest NRHP Historic Districts - Contributing Buildings
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.