Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception - Mazatlan, Sinaloa, Mexico
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Metro2
N 23° 12.039 W 106° 25.308
13Q E 354497 N 2566443
Quick Description: Mazatlan's Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception was completed in 1899.
Location: Sinaloa, Mexico
Date Posted: 10/18/2012 9:58:52 PM
Waymark Code: WMFGV3
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member lumbricus
Views: 0

Long Description:
A sign near the entrance to the Cathedral is in Spanish and English. The English portion reads:

"Cathedral

Located on Republic Square, the Cathedral of the Immaculate
Conception became the port's second Catholic church.
Its construction was begun on May 7th, 1875 and completed
on May 7, 1899. Father Miguel Lacarra oversaw a crew of
master builders that included bricklayer Estansilao Leon,
carpenter Santiago Leon and ironworker Isaac Leon. Generally
speaking, this church is eclectic in style with a predominance of
Neo-Gothic elements.
In 1958, it was named as the seat of Mazatlan's diocese as well as a besilica cathedral."

The Spanish language Wikipedia (visit link) entry informs us (translation from Google):

"In all the ancient cities of our country, is considered to the most important building cathedrals, as represented not only the ecclesiastical power but also displayed as a symbol of social and economic power of the community.

The first steps taken in the construction of this majestic cathedral, were in the year 1855 and would pass several decades, so that it could finish. In the year 1875, thanks to the efforts and determination of Father Miguel Lacarra, construction work is accelerated and decisive intervention by the main body of the building is completed in early 1880.

The construction of this cathedral, was made possible by the substantial economic contributions awarded major Catholic businessmen and industrialists of the city. One of the main benefactors at this stage, was Don Pedro Quintana Echeguren and native of the city of San Sebastian, Spain. Who was one of the richest men in the region, the powerful owner of mines "Guadalupe de los Reyes", the Spinning and Weaving factory, the water supplier and countless farms and urban land.

It is said that his extreme and unusual kindness, was due to the solemn word of honor that he had given to Father Lacarra to end their sinful life (lived in amasiato with Ms. Concepción Moreno) married in the Cathedral once it was finished .

This imposing cathedral, was designed and built by Mr. Estanislao Leon, who died in the final stages of construction. The splendid towers, began to lift in the year 1893, the first of which was completed on April 6, 1894 the other a few months later. These towers were originally designed by the eminent builder Natividad Gonzalez, but due to a harsh disagreement over certain technical issues with the Fr Garcia did not get to finish it.

The first public mass was held on May 7, 1880, but nonetheless, it was not until the day May 7, 1899 in which they performed the blessing of the temple and the consecration of altars various indoor ceremony attended as sponsors some of the most distinguished families of the city. Honor surely obtained by the substantial economic contributions they made to the building, the chronicles tell us that the altar is due to the kindness of Messrs. Manuel Blacksmith and his wife Maria de la Quintana, Pablo Hidalgo and his wife Carmen, Antonio de la Peña and his daughter Romana, Ms. Augustine Jose Elizondo and Francisca Navarro Hidalgo.

The same chronicles tell us that in the altar of the Sacred Heart, Mr. Baldomero enthusiastically participated Herrerías and John Gavica and on the altar of St. Joseph's marriages Joseph H. Rico and his wife Dolores Moreno and William Haas and his wife Josefa Canalizo distinguished. Finally ending chronicles relate that on the altar of Our Lady. Guadalupe actively participated Messrs. Joseph and his wife Matilde Somellera Lejarza and President of Minera Genaro Garcia Pánuco and fine wife Mrs. Domitilla Casal.

A lattice atrium surrounds three sides of the Cathedral and there are located three magnificent and imposing monuments. In two of them represents Christ as King and the remaining is shown to the Indian Juan Diego, showing the Bishop Fray Juan de Zumarraga the tilma with the miraculous appearance of Our Lady of Guadalupe.

Although its architecture is eclectic, inside and out, is a well-made combination of Moorish and Gothic architectural style very similar to that was used in the Cathedrals of Bordeaux, Toledo, Siguenza and the Mosque of Cordoba.

Both towers and outer dome, are covered with yellow tiles of European manufacturing. The main façade, lies a cozy porch (which is unusual to find in the great cathedrals Mexican), of which three arches that give aristados special elegance. On its side walls and porch can admire four large sculptures representing the Evangelists, Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. By shifting his big entrance gate, where egregious Inside are three ships that have a style that is definitely a sublime mix of Gothic architecture, Baroque and Neoclassical.

In the main altar of refined Gothic style, are a set of beautiful statues of saints and angels in Carrara marble, definitely Italian manufacturing. Accompanied by images of Santa Ana and San Joaquin, which together, are considered by experts in real and irreplaceable art jewelry. In the front of the whitest marble altar is embodied a beautiful sculptural representation of the Last Supper of Jesus Christ.

The Cathedral, has four side altars, two of them on either side of the main altar and the remaining two sides of the main entrance, and Neoclassical designs are enshrined in honor of Our Lady of the Rosary, the Sacred Heart of Jesus , San Jose Our Lord and Our Lady of Guadalupe. In the latter altar, are the tombs of the first bishop of the diocese that had Mazatlan, His Excellency Don Miguel García Franco. RIP. And the parents Lacarra and Jose Ruiz, the latter who first completes construction.

In the back of the main altar sheltered by a marble dome, is a splendid sculpture of the Immaculate Conception and a majestic mural depicting the Holy Trinity surrounded by angels and other heavenly figures. If you look closely you will see that the inside of the curvilinear triangles that form the arches with the ring of the dome, you can admire the regal figures of the Doctors of the Church, Saints Ambrose and Bernard and the Old Testament prophets, Zechariah and Moses .

Worthy of praise are the frescoes of religious scenes that are on the sides of the main and side altars, which although very recent (1942) are of high aesthetics and execution. Her beautiful mahogany balusters around the entire top of the vaulted ceiling and beautiful pulpit and confessionals petatillo ceiling of American cedar are some designer jewelry and artisan work very well done.

The whole cathedral is a building that brings features that make it majestic, its architectural design and decorative features are unique and unquestionable quality, just simply look the fourteen sculptures of European origin (probably Italian) placed on the walls side and representing the Cross of Our Lord or extasiarnos with exquisite images of St. John Bosco, St. Jude, Our Lady of Fatima, Santa Eduwiges, Our Lady of the Rays, Our Lady of the Sacred Heart of the Child Jesus, Santa Marta Jesus of Nazareth, Santo Domingo, Christ the King, the Sorrowful Virgin Mary and the dome glazing with the Entombment of Jesus.

We can not stop praising his huge central chandelier fixtures placed along the side aisles, profusely decorated glasses of fine French cut, installed in 1950.

But the jewel is its magnificent Cathedral in Paris organ built by Aristide Cavaillie manufacturer - Coll (1811-1899) and even in the archives of the Cathedral does not indicate on what date you acquired this wonderful musical instrument, media coverage of the time indicates that on May 17, 1899 the organ was played for the first time, delighting Port Catholic society.

The offices of the vestry and church authorities, are at the back of the Cathedral, on the second floor which is located above the sacristy, there in the waiting room of the Bishop can admire four excellent oil paintings Parents Lacarra, Jose Ruiz and the Bishops Lino Garcia Aguirre and Miguel Franco.

Currently, work is under extensive remodeling and architectural and ornamental recovery, in which, with great care being respected the original guidelines. By now you can see how little by little, the Cathedral is regaining its beauty and grandeur, thanks to the enthusiastic collaboration of the Catholic Grey Port."
Type of Church: Cathedral

Status of Building: Actively in use for worship

Date of organization: 1/1/1855

Date of building construction: 1/1/1899

Dominant Architectural Style: Neo-Gothic

Archdiocese: Durango

Diocese: Mazatlan

Address/Location:
Republic Square
Mazatlan, Sinaloa Mexico


Relvant Web Site: [Web Link]

Associated Shrines, Art, etc.: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
To log a visit to this waymark, you must post at least one original photo of the site, give the date and a brief description of your visit.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Roman Catholic Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Metro2 visited Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception - Mazatlan, Sinaloa, Mexico 10/15/2012 Metro2 visited it