Castle Coevorden - The Netherlands
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member superstein
N 52° 39.743 E 006° 44.512
32U E 347286 N 5837107
Quick Description: A small castle in the city of Coevorden in the north of the Netherlands
Location: Drenthe, Netherlands
Date Posted: 2/29/2012 10:01:20 AM
Waymark Code: WMDW53
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member bluesnote
Views: 1

Long Description:
The castle of Coevorden was built on an artificial hill - a so-called motte - near a ford (a “voorde”) in the river the Kleine Vecht. This “koevoorde” (lit. “cow ford”) gave the city its name. In 1046, German emperor Henry III gave the county of Drenthe to the bishop of Utrecht, who appointed a viscount, a hereditary title. In 1395, Bishop Frederik van Blankenheim brought this to an end, and decreed that castle Coevorden should be the only castle in Drenthe. This is still the case today. After the grand renovation of these important historic surroundings in 2009, you will receive a royal welcome and have the opportunity to enjoy the many gastronomic delights and possibilities castle Coevorden has to offer
Accessibility: Partial access

Condition: Intact

Admission Charge?: no

Website: [Web Link]

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Castles
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.