D.R. Miller Farm - U.S. Civil War - Middletown, MD
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Math Teacher
N 39° 29.059 W 077° 44.962
18S E 263541 N 4374132
Quick Description: After the Battle of Antietam, the Miller Farm served as a field hospital for both the Confederate and Union Armies.
Location: Maryland, United States
Date Posted: 1/15/2012 12:18:12 AM
Waymark Code: WMDGXX
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Outspoken1
Views: 1

Long Description:

This beautiful log home sits on top of a hill, overlooking Old Hagerstown Pike. When I visited, it was draped with scaffolding around it. An article about the renovation can be found HERE. I learned about its being used as a field hospital from the NRHP narrative. It was brief but verified its hospital status: The Miller House was the closest hospital to the battlefield and housed both Union and Confederate troops.. The nomination form does a better job than anything else with regards to its history so we will just go from there:

From the nomination form:

Antietam National Battlefield was listed on the National Register in 1966 to memorialize the Battle of Antietam (September 16-18, 1862). The Miller House contributes to the National Register under Criterion A, period of significance 1800-1899. The monument is designated as structure DRM.

The Miller House is significant under Criterion A for its association with the Battle of Antietam (September 16-18, 1862). The Miller Farm complex was in existence at the time of the battle, and was the location of the cornfield, where the bloodiest portion of fighting took place.

D.R. Miller’s farm became the center of fighting on the morning of September 17, 1862. Confederate troops occupied the Dunker Church, West Woods, and Nicodemus Farm, all located to the west of the Miller property, while the Union troops were stationed throughout the North and East Woods. Confederate troops opened fire as the Union Army marched out of the North Woods and south on Hagerstown Pike. Union troops retaliated and opened a barrage of fire on the Confederates stationed in the Cornfield. A series of retreats and advances followed as both armies tried to gain ground.

In the first four hours of fighting, over 13,000 Confederate and Union troops lay dead or wounded on and around the Miller property. The cornfield was trampled and the slain lay in rows precisely as they had stood in their ranks moments before death.

The Miller House was the closest hospital to the battlefield and housed both Union and Confederate troops. The farm complex was donated to the National Park Service in 1990 by a non-profit conservation organization, and the Miller House as it appears today was listed on the National Register on October 15, 1966, with a confirmation National Register form updated and approved by the Keeper on February 10, 1982.

Short Physical Description

The Miller House is located on the E side of Old Hagerstown Pike. It is 2-story, 4-bay log house on rubble stone foundation with a 1.5-story, braced corner-post log addition its N elevation. It is clad with aluminum siding and asphalt shingle roof. Both interior & exterior have been altered.

The Miller House is located on the east side of Old Hagerstown Pike, about two miles north of Sharpsburg. It sits on the rise of a hill, facing south, directly across Old Hagerstown Pike from the Bank Barn Foundation. The house was initially constructed in the late 18th century as a 33’ x 28’ two-story log dwelling with a gable roof and central chimney. It was substantially altered either in or before the 1860s, and then again in 1950-1960 to create its present-day appearance.

The Miller House is a two-story, four-bay log structure that rests on a roughly coursed fieldstone foundation. The side-gable building features 20th-century exterior-end brick chimneys on its east and west elevations, and a one-and-one-half-story shed-roof ell addition on its north elevation. The house is clad with aluminum siding and an asphalt-shingle roof.

The south, or principal, elevation of the Miller House is composed of four bays: three 6/6 double-hung sash windows and one door. The door is located on the east side of this elevation and features a one-bay, hipped-roof entrance porch. The porch rests on a concrete base and is accessed by a flight of concrete steps. Although partially rebuilt, it contains elements that suggest an initial construction date of circa 1860. The original posts and railing have been replaced, but the configuration remains the same.

Long Physical Description

At the time of this survey, the park was conducting a structural investigation of the Miller Farmhouse. As part of the investigation, a portion of the aluminum siding was removed from the east elevation of the house, exposing a section of the original log structure. The east elevation has a casement window on the first floor, a 6/6 double-hung sash window on the second floor, and a four-pane attic window.

A one-and-one-half-story ell addition was built onto the north elevation of the original log structure in the late 1700s or early 1800s. It is of braced corner-post log construction with a shed roof that slopes to the east. Additional first-story shed-roofed work porches on the north wall of the mail house and east elevation of the ell have been enclosed, most likely in the 1960s. An interior brick chimney is located at the north end of the ell addition.

The west elevation of the house features 5 bays configured as two 6/6 double-hung sash windows on the main block and three 6/6 double-hung sash windows on the ell addition. The second story of the main block is identical to the first. A small, four-pane attic window is located on both sides of the main block chimney. The second story of the ell contains two 6/6 double-hung sash windows directly above the two northern-most first-floor windows.

The interior of the Miller House has been substantially altered over the years. Most of the original interior surfaces that existed at the time of the battle have been removed or concealed by renovations. Initially, the house was configured with three or four rooms centered around a stone chimney.


My Source
1. NRHP Nomination Form

Address:
6101-6299 Dunker Church Rd Sharpsburg, MD 21782


Name of War: U.S. Civil War

Type of Documentation: Web Page/Historical Documentation

Visit Instructions:
Take an original pic and write something interesting.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Field Hospitals
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.