Sete Fontes - Braga, Portugal
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member razalas
N 41° 34.116 W 008° 24.252
29T E 549674 N 4602051
Quick Description: PT-As Sete Fontes é um sistema de Abastecimento de água à cidade de Braga, localizado na freguesia de São Vítor.EN-Sete Fontes (Seven Springs) is part of a water supply system built in mid-18th century that supplied potable water to the city of Braga
Location: Braga, Portugal
Date Posted: 1/2/2012 1:29:33 PM
Waymark Code: WMDEBA
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member coisos
Views: 1

Long Description:
[PT]
"As Sete Fontes é um sistema de Abastecimento de água à cidade de Braga, localizado na freguesia de São Vítor. As origens das Sete Fontes remontam ao Império Romano, Bracara Augusta, como comprovaram algumas escavações arqueológicas. O actual sistema, construído por ordem do Arcebispo Dom José de Bragança, data do século XVIII.
Dom José, como uma das suas primeiras medidas foi logo no dia 21 de Agosto de 1703 "pedir esclarecimentos à Câmara do estado dos muros da cidade e sobre o estado do fornecimento da água" (Livro de Vereações Camarárias de 1737/1748, folha 136).
Tinham sido já descobertos vários mananciais do precioso líquido no hoje lugar das Sete Fontes e em Montariol.
Logo, a exemplo do seu irmão, Dom João V, que mandou construir em Lisboa o Aqueduto das Águas Livres, mandou que em Braga, a partir daqueles lugares, se fizesse as necessárias obras de Engenharia Hidráulica para trazer até à cidade água potável.
Esta obra abasteceu a cidade até 1913, quando a água do Cávado chegou até aos reservatórios de Guadalupe.
Em 1934 o caudal foi estimado em 500 000 litros por dia.
Ainda hoje há casas onde a água das sete fontes chega, direito antigo chamado "penas de água" (medida do diâmetro da torneira).
A maioria das fontes, fontanários e chafarizes da cidade ainda são abastecidas por este sistema.

Constituída por sete fontes, em pedra aparelhada, de planta circular e tecto em abóbada, a que se juntam ainda minas construídas em pedra por conduta e galeria. A conduta principal nasce na primeira mãe de Água, e, vai captando as águas provenientes das restantes minas e mães de água até ao Arial, onde existia a última mãe de água. Esta última mãe de água, e parte do canal, foi barbaramente destruída por uma construtora civil para dar lugar a blocos habitacionais de qualidade e arquitectura duvidosa. O canal prossegue pela rua do Arial, Largo de Monte d'Arcos, Rua de São Vicente, Rua dos Chãos até ao actual Largo de São Francisco onde existia uma mãe de água distribuidora para as ruas da cidade (hoje escritório de uma Companhia de seguros)."

From: (visit link)


[EN]
"Sete Fontes (Seven Springs) is part of a water supply system built in mid-18th century that supplied potable water to the city of Braga, Portugal until the first half of the 20th century. Currently there are only 6 springs because one was destroyed in the early 1990s to give space for houses.
The remaining parts of Sete Fontes consists of the 6 springs housed in "Mãe de aguas" (mothers of waters) and connect via aqueducts that runs at surface level or in an underground system ("minas"). There are also to cylindrical shaped buildings that are part of the system.
Placed in the outskirts, on the site "Areal de Cima" parish of São Victor close to the Roman Geira (route XVIII). The use of the springs might even date back to roman times when Braga was called Bracara Augusta. In fact, until the start up of the water collection system from the Cávado river in 1914 the Sete Fontes were the main source of water supply to the city, and was used as such til 1929. Still today water is running through the system.

The main parts of the system was built between 1744 and 1752 under the aegis of the Archbishop D. José de Bragança (1741–1756), although it is known that his predecessor D. Rodrigo de Moura Telles (1704–1728) already had made numerous handiworks. D. Frei (Friar) Caetano Brandão (1790–1805) is believed to have ordered the opening of the Mine of the Orphans (Mina dos orphaons) (1804) to supply water to the homonymous institution, which he founded.

The Sete Fontes complex consists of a cluster of aqueducts and structures which stretch over about 3500 metres. The whole is segmented into 14 underground galleries and 6 junction nodes in an ensemble all built in stone. The more prominent features are the commonly called "Mães de Água" (Mothers of Water). These are made in Baroque architecture style as by their cylindrical structure provided with a vaulted dome trimmed by circular cornices and topped with pinnacles. Each "Mães de Água" is ornamented by the coat of arms of the patron,.[2][3]
These names of the "Mães de Água" might not be so in widespread use nowadays. Counting from the structure at highest ground they are called (with year stated on them): Mina do Dr. Amorim (1752), Mina do Dr. Nozes, Mina do Dr. Sampaio; Mina dos Órfãos (1804) (it actually says Mina dos Orfaons on it), Mina das Freiras, Mina do Dr. Alvim - de cima, Mina do Dr. Alvim - de baixo (1744) with the close by Mina Preta, Mina das Verdosas 1, Mina das Verdosas 2 (destroyed in 2011) and Mina de Xedas (or Chedas as is the more commonly used name) and Mina de Adelino Correia (destroyed in 1995). There are also two cylindrical shapes (next to Mina dos Órfãos and Freiras) structures that are called “respiros” ( breaths).
This water supply system is a unique specimen of the 18th century Portuguese engineering ranging from the conception of the galleries and visit chambers; in the system's overall layout in the underground and surface piping following the water sources and the topography of the valley. These piping are delicate pieces of work as seen in the design to make each element fit snugly together. Through them the water flow across branches that can be as much as one hundred metres long between the junction nodes.
Of the original aqueduct system there still are 13 water springs with excellent water quality. These are under still maintained by the municipal water supply company. This conducts periodic analysis of the water's quality, as well as providing two keepers that maintain and clean the system. The Sete Fontes could easily be said to form an invaluable underground water resource located inside the urban area that due to its characteristics is an important added value in any strategic plan for the city of Braga. Notably the water of the fountains of the town squares Largo do Paço and Largo Carlos Amarante's comes from Sete Fontes. At the complex there are also two faucets Bica Pública das Sete Fontes (near Mina do Dr Amorim) and Poça da Monte (near Mina das Verdosas 1). The water from the former is check regularly (almost monthly) by the Freguesia (Portugal) de São Vítor."

From: (visit link)
Designação (Name): Sistema de Abastecimento de Águas à cidade de Braga no século XVIII, designado por «Sete Fontes»

Categoria de protecção (Classification): MN - Monumento Nacional

Categoria/Tipologia (Type of heritage): Arquitectura Civil / Fontanário

Concelho (City): Braga

Página do Património na base de dados do IGESPAR (Page of the Heritage at the IGESPAR database): [Web Link]

Wikipedia: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
[PT]
- Por favor forneça pelo menos uma foto tirada durante a sua visita.
- Por favor escreva um pouco sobre a sua visita. Diga o que achou. Gostou?

[ENG]
- Please provide at least a photo you have taken during your visit.
- And please write a little about your visit. Tell us what you thought, did you liked it?

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Património Português (Portuguese Heritage)
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.