Belfries of Belgium and France - Beffroi de l’église St-Martin de Cambrai, France, ID=943-036
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member RakeInTheCache
N 50° 10.468 E 003° 13.925
31U E 516572 N 5558054
Quick Description: [FR] C'est en 1395 que Cambrai obtint définitivement de l'empereur Venceslas l'autorisation de posséder un beffroi. [EN] Originally part of a church that no longer stands, the belfry is one of the most impressive pieces of architecture in the town.
Location: Hauts-de-France, France
Date Posted: 8/5/2011 12:25:55 PM
Waymark Code: WMC7RZ
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Tervas
Views: 2

Long Description:
[FR] Le clocher de l'église Saint-Martin occupe cette fonction à partir du XVIe siècle siècle (1550): si cette église fut détruite à la révolution, le beffroi fut heureusement épargné. Il est érigé en style gothique entre 1447 et 1474, et s'élançait alors à près de 57 mètres de hauteur.

L'institution du guet date de plusieurs siècles. En 1400, il existait déjà un guetteur au beffroi, et quatre en 1681.

Le guetteur, autrefois appelé wette, du mot patois «wétier» (regarder) était la sentinelle vigilante de la ville. Les Cambrésiens l'ont appelé gallu (du mot latin gallus, le coq, symbole de vigilance)

Les gallus étaient chargés d'annoncer l'arrivée de troupes ennemies, d'alerter la population en cas d'incendie, de marquer toutes les heures et les demi-heures sur la cloche du beffroi ou la nuit à l'aide d'un porte voix ainsi que l'heure de couvre-feu. Ils annonçaient également l'ouverture et la fermeture des portes de la ville. Deux gallus se trouvaient au clocher de 9 heures du soir à 6 heures du matin. De leur chambre ménagée dans le dôme les guetteurs participaient à la sûreté de la cité.

[EN] In 1395, Cambrai obtained final authorisation from the Emperor Venceslas to have a belfry, a function performed by the bell-tower of Saint-Martin church in the middle of the 16th century. Its role later saved it from destruction, when the church was sold as a national asset during the Revolution.

Built between 1447 and 1474 in Gothic style, equipped with powerful buttresses, it was topped by an amazing twisted spire flanked by four corner turrets. This was replaced in the 18th century by the classical dome that we know today.

The four sculptures that adorn the top, produced in 1924, represent characters that illustrate key moments in the history of Cambrai.

The belfry contained the community bell and the town watchmen’s department, the “gallus”, which lasted until 1934.
Type: Building

Reference number: http://whc.unesco.org/fr/list/943/

Visit Instructions:
Please upload at least one photo.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest World Heritage Sites
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
yamathom wrote comment for Belfries of Belgium and France - Beffroi de l’église St-Martin de Cambrai, France, ID=943-036 11/11/2014 yamathom wrote comment for it